Hogue AK Forend/Handguard w/ Rails on sale

I saw that Optics Planet has the black one on sale for $28.99. I decided to take the plunge. I had to order a gas tube, and I will need to finish my handguard retainer mod for it to work, but I will report back once I have it on. It may be a little longer until I get a range trip out of it, but stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll get some up tomorow. Overall, it is a little less sturdy than I had hopped for. It is OK, and I will keep it until I find something I like and can pay for better. It could certainly be more sturdy. I like the way it looks. It keeps the more traditional AK look, but still allows side and bottom rails (top too, but I am not going to use that). I used a bipod on it on Saturday. It was OK for that. I think they need to have more plastic contact the receiver. It only has the bottom tang similar to the Saiga handguard. I kind of wish the tang was longer, because I would put a threaded insert in it like on the Saiga one to hold it in better. I am kind of dissapointed with it to be honest.

Here are some pics. I may try to make this a little more sturdy this weekend. I am not sure what that may involve, but may include some epoxy (JB Weld) , fiberglass and possibly sheet metal. I'll post more if I have any improvements. For now, here are some pictures.

post-29037-0-89943000-1309361254_thumb.jpg

post-29037-0-53238600-1309361273_thumb.jpg

post-29037-0-99885000-1309361293_thumb.jpg

post-29037-0-41074400-1309361312_thumb.jpg

post-29037-0-33393100-1309361331_thumb.jpg

But wait, there's more! I am pretty poud of this fix!!!

I had a great idea! I noticed from the thread that I linked to, that someone noticed the flange that goes into the handguard retainer is not as high as the stock K-Var style Russian handguard (see thread link above to annother forum). That got me thinking that perhaps I could do some mods to make it work better. I thought of filling in the handguard with some epoxy or something to make the flange a little bigger. Then it hit me! I did not need to fill in and build up the flange, but I could fill in the handguard retainer and make it work for the handguard. At $15 and some work, it would be easy enough to replace if I needed to.

I bought some JB Weld stick from the hardware store. It is supposed to withstand 500 degreees of heat. That is probably more than adequate for me, and if not, I would get a different handguard anyway. cleaned out the inside of my bolt on handguard retainer that I made from a Bulgarian AK-74 handguard. I kneaded the epoxy stick into a rope, and lined the inside rim of the handguard retainer. I then pressed the handguard into the retainer. I made sure to keep the bottom lip of the handguard toward the bottom of the handguard retainer (cleaning rod hole side), so that it would make for a snug fit. I carefully put the handguard where it needed to be and bolted it down. I had my wife help me so as to keep from bumping the handguard. I let it set up and cure (about an hour). Now this sucker has a custom made/fitting handguard retainer bracket. It locks up much much tighter. It could still lock up a little better on the receiver end, but it is now a keeper. I will stick it out, unless I become dissatisfied with it. It only cost about 10 bucks more for the epoxy, and will make a good fit! This could work with really any handguard that could use a better fit at the retainer end! The teeth on the handguard left their mark in the epoxy. The epoxy should be about as tough as any polymer handguard material.

I would also like not note that before I did this, I sprayed the metal flange of the lower handguard with Jigaloo, and then put a thin film of lp balm (oil would work too). This is to keep it from sticking to the JB Weld epoxy putty.

post-29037-0-56167600-1309486211_thumb.jpg

post-29037-0-53902700-1309486240_thumb.jpg

post-29037-0-42948600-1309486276_thumb.jpg

post-29037-0-53790900-1309486294_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...