German NATO surplus, circa '90s

I recently bought a battle pack of this stuff, 200 rounds, but have yet to fire any. Seeing it again from Cheaper Than Dirt at about 43 cents per round, I'm intrigued by the low cost and wondering if it would be wise to purchase more. What's the relative quality, or conversely, anything wrong with it? I think I've seen it referred to here as "end of the world stuff." I am neither a hunter nor a total nut about range or accuracy, but I do like to be on target at, say, 100 yards, which I am of late using mostly Prvi Partisan, some Wolf. Opinions are appreciated.

I have shot about 200 rounds from a pack I bought. Excellent quality and accuracy! Word is the Germans got rid of it because the little paper boxes the rounds were in were acidic. As in there was a small amount of ammonia in the paper used for the boxes that 'could' corrode the brass. From what I've seen, it just discolored it a bit. Take it out of the boxes, wipe the ammo off, and it should be good for long term storage without issue.

Last range trip I put 100 rounds down range with it.

It feels pretty hot compared to most surplus ammo, and it seems pretty destructive as well. It seems like this bullet yaws or ruptures on impact, I'm not quite sure.

It's very consistent and pretty accurate, I'd say it's even good enough to be considered for self defense.

Run it in both the Saiga and a boltie, works good reasonably accurate, 0.6MOA out of the XL7 and about 2.5MOA out of the Saiga.

Love it.

WAIT what am I doing... its horrible ammo stay far away from it will give you warts!

Edited by Rhodes1968

Groups great out of my S308 but powder or primer reeks of ammonia. Have also heard magical things about the projectile having special fragmenting capabilities, have pulled one and it appears to be a standard FMJBT, jacketed with the cupro-nickel as claimed, but the base has a golden look to it, got to cut one down the middle when I get around to it.

I have shot about 200 rounds from a pack I bought. Excellent quality and accuracy! Word is the Germans got rid of it because the little paper boxes the rounds were in were acidic. As in there was a small amount of ammonia in the paper used for the boxes that 'could' corrode the brass. From what I've seen, it just discolored it a bit. Take it out of the boxes, wipe the ammo off, and it should be good for long term storage without issue.

We're talking about the DAG stuff right? If so, I hadn't heard about the paper issue. Got a few battle packs still wrapped in ammo cans. Now I have something to do this afternoon, thanks!