.308 barrel replacement and parts aquisition question

I am looking to soon purchase a Saiga 308 to go with my x39 Saiga. I have read the debates over the 16" vs 21" barrel but I think I've decided on 16" for versatility and I'm probably going to side mount a scope. However, since I haven't opend up the x39 Saiga yet, how hard is it to swap a barrel on a Saiga 308? That said, does RAA offer/sell parts like extra barrels and other parts should I ever want to swap out? As far as accuracy and precision, my rifle after the S308 will be either a Remington 700 or Savage in .308, so I am not to worried about the accuracy restraints of a Kalishnakov action. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Spare parts for the main components, e.g. bolt carrier & barrels, are generally few and far between.

Most times other guns are scavenged for parts.

Keep a eye on the WTS/WTB section, these and other parts do come up for sale once in awhile.

ETA: Replacing a barrel on the Saiga is a job both ways.

Requires a press and specific tooling made to push out the pin and the barrel without the gun jumping around or damaging the gun or barrel from the pressure on the various unevenly shaped parts.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I have a spare long barrel with very few round through it for $200 if you want it.

I haven't bought a .308 yet. I found one on GB but missed out. I am considering getting a Saiga .308 as a all purpose heavy hitting rifle. I thought about a shorter barrel for general use, then maybe a longer barrel for looking like a PSL as I'm also considering a PSL in 54r. Didn't realize swapping the barrels wouldn't be so easy. Saiga would have made this sooooooo easy if they had a 7.62x54r rifle like VEPR will. I hope to get my .308 in the next month or so.

get a psl, if you are looking for 7.62x54r i have one and i love it. just a pita to reload for thats why im looking itno a 308 (at least thats what i tell the wife) i just want antother project in reality. i like working on them.

I have a spare long barrel with very few round through it for $200 if you want it.

I haven't bought a .308 yet. I found one on GB but missed out. I am considering getting a Saiga .308 as a all purpose heavy hitting rifle. I thought about a shorter barrel for general use, then maybe a longer barrel for looking like a PSL as I'm also considering a PSL in 54r. Didn't realize swapping the barrels wouldn't be so easy. Saiga would have made this sooooooo easy if they had a 7.62x54r rifle like VEPR will. I hope to get my .308 in the next month or so.

Swapping barrels requires a hydraulic press and headspace guages.Not a big deal for the mechanically minded who already own a garage full of tools but not so easy for apartment dwellers or people who have never worked with their hands.