i read a study somewhere that anything 22" and longer starts to lose velocity due to more friction of longer barrel.

the bullets gained in velocity from 16" inches up to about 22". then they started losing velocity.

and i believe that it was with a stronger caliber like a 308. so i'm sure the little x39 will really start to lose velocity at maybe 20".

might have been on this board somewhere. can't remember.DAMN!

just lettin you know so you may want to look into it first.

I highly doubt that. The only reason any velocity would be lost is if a large portion of the gas leaked out. This happens with straight blowback operated semi-automatics, specifically 22LR rifles, and it's specific to the rifle too. It would be different, for example, between a Ruger and a Remington. In general, I suspect a lighter bolt would warrant a shorter barrel length. With the Ruger 10-22 I believe the largest useful barrel is 18".

On the AK, the AK barrels are so inasnely simple that you could very easily have one custom fit or even adapted on your own lathe. A Mosin barrel would be a good candidate. Just cut off most of the chamber and re-ream it to X39. Then cut the front end to length.

If barrel-less kits start showing up, I may just do something like that.

With just a lathe, I was able to turn a Marlin 336 35 Rem barrel down to fit an AK.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

My rifle has a 14.3" barrel with a permanent brake (AK-103K from AK-USA). I'm thinking I may want to go back to a 16" barrel some time.

Who am I kidding I'll cut it down to a AK-104 and just get a whole new rifle if I want a 16" barrel. It would be cheaper anyway.

Edited by B-B

LONGER THAN 22 INCHES STARTS TO LOSE VELOCITY

just look it up.

shit. guess i'll have to look the shit up myself and post it here for everybody that thinks they know everything and require proof etched in stone from god above.

Well here's what would cause loss in velocity: If the friction on the barrel and forward pressure on the bullet were greater than the force applied by the pressure behind the bullet. It isn't impossible that an AK could lose enough velocity, but considering the level of the muzzle blast (ie high pressure gas escaping after the bullet leaves), I highly doubt it. But I've been wrong before.

This would very much depend on the specific gas system. Manually operated arms should be immuned. I would say though that if any gun would tap that much gas from the barrel, it would be the AK.