KNS .034 Front, Krebs Peep in Da Back

I am looking to upgrade my iron sights. On order currently is a KNS .034 diameter front (the one that is stepped, no ball atop) but I am hearing mixed things about the Krebs rear aperture. I really want to know if the Krebs aperture is:

A) Still true as far as distance markings on the rear sight vs the stock ak rear sight distance markings

B) All around better sight picture

I've practice a lot with the stock irons and I think I reached my peak as far as 100m accuracy goes with the stock setup... I just want to "tighten up", ya dig?!

I am looking to upgrade my iron sights. On order currently is a KNS .034 diameter front (the one that is stepped, no ball atop) but I am hearing mixed things about the Krebs rear aperture. I really want to know if the Krebs aperture is:

A) Still true as far as distance markings on the rear sight vs the stock ak rear sight distance markings

I've practice a lot with the stock irons and I think I reached my peak as far as 100m accuracy goes with the stock setup... I just want to "tighten up", ya dig?!

I went back to the fat post myself, as I found myself sometimes loosing sight of the thin front post during the recoil/muzzle rise and having to locate it again. That never happens with the fat post.

The Krebs piece is nice, and does give a good sight picture for more precise shooting. Once again, I gave it up for the stock setup.

One problem I had with the Krebs was that I had to try three different sliders to find one that would readily slide up and down. It could just be that I got a unit that was out of whack a bit.

I went back to the fat post myself, as I found myself sometimes loosing sight of the thin front post during the recoil/muzzle rise and having to locate it again. That never happens with the fat post.

The Krebs piece is nice, and does give a good sight picture for more precise shooting. Once again, I gave it up for the stock setup.

One problem I had with the Krebs was that I had to try three different sliders to find one that would readily slide up and down. It could just be that I got a unit that was out of whack a bit.

So would you say it is worth it to upgrade the irons or not? One of those YMMV kinda deals?

I might be dissing the stock sights because of what I did to them. I applied nitesighters (nitesighters.com) to the back rear sight leaf and to the front post. I had a really hard time at the range seeing a decent sight picture, possibly because of the stickers I added on.

Another option would be to "open" up the little slit on the rear sight leaf... I have no idea how to properly approach this modification, but if anyone has suggestions, I'll listen.

So would you say it is worth it to upgrade the irons or not? One of those YMMV kinda deals?

Depends on what the main purpose is for your rifle. Mine is for shooting bad guys if necessary - hopefully it never will be - and only secondarily for range fun. So I prioritize what I believe will work best for shooting people in potential real life scenarios. The stock sights (front and back) work great for that, but I admit that I was a bit more accurate at the range with the thin post, the Tech Sights aperture first, and then the Krebs later. I figure that the added precision is irrelevant/wasted in a real gunfight though, and speed in making center-of-mass hits is more important.

I might be dissing the stock sights because of what I did to them. I applied nitesighters (nitesighters.com) to the back rear sight leaf and to the front post.

Could be. I rely on the Aimpoint and don't bother with night sights. Also, within 25 yards, I'm pretty sure I can get hits fairly easy with unsighted fire.

Edited by Jim Digriz

The standard AK rear sight works great for me...I was shooting two inch groups today at 100yds using 7N6.

As a fan of US military aperature sights, I would be tempted to try a TWS style topcover rail with a an aprature at the rear.

I shot an AR for the first time a few weeks ago as well as an M1 and M14 (I have an awesome friend lol) and instantly got to the point of boredom because sighting with the aperture sights was so effortless. I really want to see how I do with the new front sight first and then I might be tempted to change to the aperture sight. I really feel that if I could open the rear sight up more, I can have more success aiming 100m out.

I just have a hard time getting an AK to sight like I prefer which is the "lollypop" target acquisition (target ontop of the front sight). The main problem is judging where to line up the front sight base on the rear sight. The KNS has an easy base that is separate from the skinnier top portion of the sight, so lining the front sight is easier.I felt that the AR, M1, and M14 have an easier time sighting a target as such. I'll hold off on the Krebs aperture as I have yet to hear 1 concrete + over the stock sights.

I have a KNS 0.034 front post as well as a Mojo MicroClick rear aperture. It is golden for long range, but for up close/quick action shots I lose the front post easily.

Here's what it looks like:

CIMG3014.jpg

CIMG3013.jpg

CIMG3012.jpg

The front sight post is freakin thin.

CIMG3035.jpg

Edited by toshbar

I have a KNS 0.034 front post as well as a Mojo MicroClick rear aperture. It is golden for long range, but for up close/quick action shots I lose the front post easily.

Here's what it looks like:

CIMG3014.jpg

CIMG3013.jpg

CIMG3012.jpg

The front sight post is freakin thin.

CIMG3035.jpg

Thats money... I'm getting one asap. Love that sight picture. Thanks to all that replied!

Another great post for the sights/optics section. :rolleyes::booo:

maybe its a ghost town because dbags wont post int he right place.

Thanks for the encouragement and praise Beefcake! You dawg you! You got to admit... I get more exposure and eyes in this section then I do in the other. :cryss: