IZH-240 Range Trip

Went to my rifle club today, West Branch Rifle and Pistol in Grafton, Ohio.

On the agenda was testing out the ZigZag muzzle brake I recently installed, and sighting in the new front sight it is attached to. Also, I wanted to see how this rifle worked with the Bulgarian 30rd mags I just got. Finally, I got a box of Hornady 60gn Vmax I wanted to try.

This is my second trip to the range with this Saiga. All shooting was done at 100yds.

The new front sight zeroed quickly, and the sight post, once zeroed, is centered very nicely...better than the OEM post, which was far to the right out of the box, and still hit right at 100yds.

When I had the sight set the way I wanted, I switched to the Hornady Vmax. The Saiga fed and functioned 20rds of this ammo with no problem. This load did hit to a different POA than the 7N6...it was hitting high two inches and right about 4. You would definately need to zero for this load specifically if you were going to use it for hunting or SD.

I put 90rds through the Saiga using two different Bulgarian poly mags....one was circle 21, one was circle 10. Both functioned perfectly. I used them slow fire and aimed, rapid (that is, firing quickly while still aiming...not shooting as fast as possible).

With one mag full, I was squeezing off doubletaps quickly...aiming the first round and firing the second as fast as I could...here is where the muzzle brake shined...the front sight barely moved.

I will probably install a bullet guide at some point, but it seems as if it is something I will do "just because".

All in all, a fun day, and the Saiga did great...got some questions from other shooters...."what rifle is that?....what caliber is that?...."

Edited by amd6547

The new front sight zeroed quickly, and the sight post, once zeroed, is centered very nicely...better than the OEM post, which was far to the right out of the box, and still hit right at 100yds.

When you said new front sight, what do you mean? New FSB or new KNS front sight post? I just bought a new KNS front sight post and wanted to know if this is what you were referring to.

Nah, I mounted a take-off Bulgarian front sight base to get the threading for the muzzle brake. Not hard at all. Plus, all I did was eyeball it for straghtness...and it turned out centered better than OEM!

Based on my shooting results using irons, I am really looking forward to seeing how the 5.45 does with a scope. I have a rail mount on the way right now. I am thinking that a compact, low powered variable like a 1.5-4.5 or a 2-7 would be perfect.

Still deciding on the scope...but I have an aimpoint clone red dot I will use till I decide. Once I find the right scope, the irons will probably serve as backup. I do good work with the irons as issued anyway.