Never shot an AK 47

OK I know this sounds stupid, but I have never shot an AK 47. I shoot and have shot all kinds of guns, but never an AK 47. I guess the closest I have came is an old Chinese SKS about 20 years ago, and numerous 30/30's. I just like to shoot and buy myself an occasional gun. Mainly just blow stuff up and be ready if the zombies ever come. Recently I purchased a Saiga 12 and converted it myself, and have been looking at all the different variations of the AK 47 and have decided when I do buy one it will be the Saiga since I like my 12 gauge so much. How does the Saiga 7.62 X 39 compare to the guns I have shot? Like the SKS, and 30/30's? Thnks in advance and this is a great and informative forum!

Well, it will probably be a lot like your SKS until you convert it due to the sporting config. There's really no gun to compare an AK-47 to in terms of feel. It's just fun as hell! :super:

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by CPF
  • Like 1

What CPF said. Ballistically, it is very similar to a 30-30. Unconverted, it will typically feel like the SKS but with a 4" shorter barrel unless you go for the long barrel, then it'll feel much the same iiuc. When you first start shooting it, remember, it isn't your S12 and wont kick nearly so much. I went the same path as you, S12 -> AK and flinched through most of the first mag, lol.

Have fun and don't wait for the Zombies to come, go get 'em. :killer: