First NFA FA purchase

Well guys (and gals) since I first joined this forum a few years back I have been saving for my first FA purchase/investment and I finally have the funds to do so. However, I am constantly going back and forth over a few firearms and cannot settle on one. So I thought I would tap into the collective wisdom and opinions of those who have taken the plunge before. To help you out a few details: 1.) The budget is quasi-fixed as it only grows very slowly as we have a new baby, 7lbs 7oz :) ) 2.) I plan on shooting it, no safe queen for me. (1000 to 1500 rds/yr) 3.) In general, I really like/collect historical firearms especially WWII stuff. So my choices and their rationale are as follows:

1.) MP40 - Been pining after one since I saw the Dirty Dozen and Where Eagles Dare as a little kid. I actually want a tube gun as I can't justify the premium for the correct C&R ones. Downside is parts and mags are mildly to moderately hard to find and expensive. At top end of budget.

2.) Sterling (non suppressed) - Been hearing for awhile that these are pretty cool,reliable, and fun and they do look the part. Parts and mags are available if not plentiful and relatively cheap. Downside, not as sexy as an MP40 IMHO and not WWII.

3.) Reising - They are USMC used in WWII but I've been "meh" on them as they failed miserably in this role. On the plus side, are at the low end price wise allowing me to save serious coin over the MP40. Parts and mags are just ok as far as price. Closed bolt so more accurate. No cottage industry for these to produce new parts like the MP40 and others.

4.) Sten - WWII and much cheaper than MP40. Parts are available and cheap. My brain likes this choice , however, my heart doesn't as it looks like something I'd find in the Khyber Pass.

5.) Ruger AC556 - Plus side: 5.56 Rifle, commercial level quality made, select fire from factory and not a conversion, parts interchange with many mini-14 parts, cost is about the same as the Sterling and less than MP40. Downside not WWII, looks just like Mini-14 to uninitiated (which may be a good thing now that I think about it), Ruger may or may not be servicing these anymore depending on who you talk to.

6.) S&W 76 - Good design, C&R, Navy SEAL/CIA use in Vietnam use in a sense as the Carl Gustav M45. Only SMG S&W ever made. Parts availability? As much $ as AC556 but not MP40.

Thompsons, BARs , anything WWII and belt-fed, RDIAS's, M16/AR15 RR's are too expensive and the rest MACs, Uzi's, and others I just don't like them enough to buy for whatever reason.

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by 690gr

It sounds like you are already heavily in favor of the MP-40 - everything else would be at least a little disappointing, or beyond your budget. If you watch Subguns for long enough the right ad might pop up with the right package for you. A few times I've seen an MP-40 tube gun sell with more than one magazine for a decent price.

The cheapest one I can find on there right now:

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=18974&query=retrieval

I've heard Sturmgewehr is another good place to look for Title II firearms.

Good luck!