first time shooting slugs.....i just dont understand

long story: i got the gun and put 300 rounds of buckshot, birdshot, couple home defense loads never slugs. converted it and put another 300 rounds though it(still no slugs). all of this with out one FTE or FTF. went to the range today and they only allow slugs and EVERY ONE FTE(8 stove piped). it was like there wasnt enough gas pressure to clear the empty round past the hood. they were sellier & bellot 2 3/4 inch high brass 1 oz slugs. ive heard of people cycling slugs fine but run into problems running lighter game loads but not the other way around. i checked the gas ports, they were clean, tried setting 2, still had problems.

the only thing i found on here was that the hammer sits to high and causes friction which could cause FTE problem.

any help would be amazing

thanks

Hello,

Some slugs have powder that is slower burning thus the pressure doesn't spike too high too soon. The burn and pressure build occurs down the length of the barrel. I'm guessing the 19" bbl isn't long enough for a complete burn of slow powder. You might see a really neat flash shooting these after dark as the powder completes the burn outside of the muzzle. I suggest trying a different brand of slugs before modifying/faulting the gun.

I've shot 16 pellet buckshot and my gun stove piped every round. I was using Remington 16P 1 buck and was surprised that the lead mass didn't provide enough resistance to allow enough pressure to build. Other ammo worked just fine.

Have you shot at Buffalo Range in Ottowa, Il? I like it there, just don't expect a gun shop or ammo or food sold there.

• Like 1