install a bayonet on a Saiga .223

Replacement of the front sight with a bayo lug is not feasible , so I came up with the idea of using an AR-15 bayonet lug adapter(the small size) and install it right before the front sight. I will have to modify the lug itself , reducing it to be able to make it fit on the AKM russian/bulgarian type III bayonet that I just ordered . I think that it would not be that difficult to file and contour the lug until it fits into the bayonet . I thought of using an M9 bayonet so I would not need to modify the lug adapter , but the size of the M9 ring is too big and would not fit correctly on my AK74 east german zig zag muzzle brake ... soI went back to the original decision . I am waiting for the lug adapter and the bayonet . I wonder if some other guys had thought of doing the same thing before. I have read that some have installed the lug adapter with an M7 bayonet on Saiga rifles, but not with an AKM bayonet . Anyway, I will apreciate any insights ... I will post when I get the parts and the install is done. The lug adapter will be barely noticeable behind the front sight block . I understand that this is only for display and looks , but I want to have the ability , anyway. Thanks

Edited by josey88

Update : I installed the bayo adapter and I like it... not original " factory look" , of course , but it is ok , and it works perfectly . The bayonet fitting is completely solid . I had to modify the adapter a little , but now the bayo sits perfect , no movement , no nothing. It is completely solid , in and out . The barrel has now a kind of "machine gun" look , but it looks better of what I thought it would . Maybe it is because I have the 20" long barrel . Since I have the thicker .591" barrel , it is too much cost and hassle to try to install a regular sight with the bayo lug . Anyway, I do like it , and it cost me only $20.00 . Here are some pics :

017-7.jpg

002-49.jpg

018-10.jpg

020-6.jpg

Edited by josey88

Looks good...who makes the muzzle brake you have installed there?

That is the real thing... an East German AK-74 zig zag muzzle brake.

Did you install a thread adapter on that rifle?

Well, yes, of course . I had the barrel threaded to 14x1 LH and I installed a 14 to 1 LH to a 24 mm adapter because the zig zag brake is a 24 mm thread .

Edited by josey88

Looks good...who makes the muzzle brake you have installed there?

That is the real thing... an East German AK-74 zig zag muzzle brake.

Did you install a thread adapter on that rifle?

Well, yes, of course . I had the barrel threaded to 14x1 LH and I installed a 14 to 1 LH to a 24 mm adapter because the zig zag brake is a 24 mm thread .

It didn't look like it was that wide in the back from the pictures you posted. And if I offended you with my question it was...of course... unintentional. I thought maybe the Germans made a zig zag brake with 14 X 1 LH threads. I have a Bulgarian FSB on my 5.45 with a zig zag brake. And I threaded my 7.62 but just have the Tapco brake on it at this point. That was why I was curious...

Not at all ... If you look at the first pic you can see the expansion at the back better , I think . I had to order an adapter which cost me $10.00 and fit right in . I cannot be sure , but I think that all East German brakes for AK74s are 24mm . It is a beautiful brake , very elegant and the finish is amazing. I still wonder how the germans were able to make the zig zag cuts... had to be laser machining , no doubt

Edited by josey88