Ultimak gas tube on Saiga 5.45

Anyone using the Ultimak gas tube replacement on a Saiga 5.45?

I'd love to hear how it works, any issues with installing it (barrel shims?), etc.

I'm standardizing my optics on all my CQ weapons to the Meprolight M21. It is big brick of aluminum and is standard issue to IDF where it no doubt gets very warm out in that desert sun, so I'm not too worried about the heat from the rail.

I had one for quite a while. I had no functional problems with it at all, but found it to be too much trouble to clean after shooting corrosive surplus ammo. For convenience sake, I'd rather have a removable gas tube. For .223 or 7.62x39, I might have a different opinion.

I had one for quite a while. I had no functional problems with it at all, but found it to be too much trouble to clean after shooting corrosive surplus ammo. For convenience sake, I'd rather have a removable gas tube. For .223 or 7.62x39, I might have a different opinion.

Hmm.. thanks. I hadn't considered the trouble of cleaning it. I can certainly see that as being an issue for me.. shooting up loads of cheap 7n6 is why I bought a 5.45 in the first place.

Not excited about the idea of losing the rear sight for a beryl type rail either. Definately don't want a railed up forearm.. prefer wood furniture.

I guess that leaves a side rail mount..

Hmm.. thanks. I hadn't considered the trouble of cleaning it. I can certainly see that as being an issue for me.. shooting up loads of cheap 7n6 is why I bought a 5.45 in the first place.

Not excited about the idea of losing the rear sight for a beryl type rail either. Definately don't want a railed up forearm.. prefer wood furniture.

I guess that leaves a side rail mount..

I have the UTG side rail option right now and its not too bad. However you don't really get a cheek weld at all on the rifle. I bought Jim's ultimak rail and am going to mount my primary arms micro dot gen 7.

I have the UTG side rail option right now and its not too bad. However you don't really get a cheek weld at all on the rifle. I bought Jim's ultimak rail and am going to mount my primary arms micro dot gen 7.

Yeah, I have one of those UTG's sitting around here somewhere. I'll give it a shot, but I think it will sit too high for the Meprolight, which has dimensions similar to an Eotech. If its close, I might be alright.. some other side rails have lowers profiles. I think Arsenal makes a good one..

If it isn't close, then I'll get a Midwest rear sight with the mini-dot mount, and use a Trijicon RMR, I guess.. but that certainly isn't my first choice.