RPK threads question

OK so... the Big Ole Box O' Parts showed up today, in it was a full conversion package for Momma's 10/63... a few odds and ends for the Draco and 10/63UF.... and my RPK brake

I eagerly unscrewed the factory installed slant brake from my RPK... went to screw on my new Night Break by CNCwarrior that I got from CSS... it went on 5 full turns and just.... stopped.

Perplexed I thought the heavy barrel on the RPK might have been the problem and maby while the thread pattern was the same, the barrel diameter was not....so by way of test... I took the slant brake that JUST came of Momma's ( my wife btw ) 10/63...screwed it on, and down all the way....

Even more confused at this point, I took the slant brake off the RPK and screwed it onto the 10/63... all the way...

hummm, ok.... got the aftermarket brake off the UF, screwed it onto the 10/63 all the way, took it off, put it on the RPK... 5 turns and full stop..

tried both the slant cut factory brakes on the UF... perfect fit

just for grins at this point i tried the same with the brake off the draco, and the PSL... both screw down 5 turns and stop

dug thru my parts box, found 3 more slant brakes... all 3 fit the RPK perfect, but nothing else seems to

WTF?.... ideas guys?

if ALL the other AKS will accept ALL the aftermarket brakes, AND all the factory slant cut brakes, and the RPK accepts all the slant cut brakes, how is it even possible that it wont accept the aftermarket brakes?

they all screw down the exact same 5 turns then get TIGHT.... it would take a wrench to get another turn on it and i need another 10 turns... but the slant cuts all screw down perfect with no indication of getting tighter any further down

I've discounted the idea of a bad thread or a flat spot... only thing I can think of ATM is... the RPK threads seem to have been parked black along with the rest of the barrel and the other AKs are not. are the aftermarket brakes cut to such a tight tolerance that parking would cause the issue? and the factory slants really threaded that loose?

if so... will I trash the threads if I try and tighten it down anyway? ... should i just steel wool and some kinda cleaner or something to strip the park off the RPK threads?

open to ideas guys, hate to botch the threads for good but would REALLY like something more....cosmetic than the slant on the RPK

Edited by datrowl

Hmm, I got as 3prong(A1 style?) for mine and it fits just fine. Tightens down and locks via the retaining pin, no prob. So I guess this isn't much help. But out of curiosity, did you measure the length of the threads/to barrel tip? Are they the same on all the other rifles. These things(AKs) are nortorius for idiosyncrasies.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I'm visiting my grandkids this weekend and am not near my RPK.

datrowl, i think your refering to the night brake correct? if so, i had the same problem on my rpk. couple turns and then stops, not sure why. but noticed when i took a screw driver stuck it between the brake and kept turning backing off noticed that the threads on my rpk were not damaged, but the night brake metal seems to be softer in turn i just rethreaded the night brake with my rpk threads, though you should do this at your own risk. will tak e some pics and post up later.

would appriciate the pics boss, i just dont understand, and yes, i started out with the night break but when it didnt work, i also tried 3 other aftermarket brakes in different styles... the 7.62 phantom off my wifes ak, the extended birdcage off the PSL, the 74 style off the underfolder.... no dice, and all stoped at exactly the same spot.... and again after double checking the rpk threads... no deformities or flat spots

its the damnest thing i've ever seen

datrol, the night brake i removed from my rpk and put it on my mini just to show it went on with no problems, but after i rethreaded it with the rpk. from L-R, slant muzzle/norinco 84s-1/tapco brake/krink brake/ and the night brake on the mini, all of went on my rpk/mini/psl/84s-1 with no problems. im thinkin it could be the threads on the night brake just a lil off.

019-4.jpg

I'm still not convienced its not just a manufactured to tighter tolerances issue with my RPK haveing park on the threads and the AKs not being parked in that area... it may add just enough extra material to cause it to tighten up

any suggestion on how to remove the park from just the muzzle threads?

I'm still not convienced its not just a manufactured to tighter tolerances issue with my RPK haveing park on the threads and the AKs not being parked in that area... it may add just enough extra material to cause it to tighten up

any suggestion on how to remove the park from just the muzzle threads?

try a fine wire wheel and a drill, but i would experiment on something else first

• Like 1