Finally found something Saiga won't feed ..

Well, These just won't feed, go figure. These are the bulk Wally world Winchester.

The day was hot, but not this hot. Llow to mid 90's, the shells wouldn't know about a heat index so that doesn't count.

Last time on Winchester for me, I'll move to Fed or Rem from now on.

After this problem, I put my mags in the cooler for the rest of the day :/

Should have known better :( I'd seen the top round open and put some pellets into the mag. I switched it out, but didn't check the lower rounds.

BTW, this would move me completely to metal cased rounds for SD (there were discussions about this a while back, rounds deforming under the lateral pressures of the follower and bottom of the bolt).

ETA....

Alright, I'm editing this as it's not obvious as to what's going on. This happened last summer (2005) at a "warm" match ~95 degrees. Shells that were in the mag (black mag maybe in sunlight? I don't know) and that were sitting in their boxes. Look carefully at the crimp on the shells and you can see that they are in various states of failure. One shell that I pulled out had no shot left in it at all.

So, in my typical tongue-in-cheek fashion I made a joke at blaming this on the Saiga's ability to feed.

Sorry for the confusion.

I will add that the day wasn't as hot as other places. And, these didn't set in a car where the heat might get hot enough to expect this. I've had other shells that have been in a car in the sun, and later found them fine to shoot. I think this was just a bad day for the plastic department?

post-375-1122364122.jpg

Edited by kmoore

Kenneth,

While your were shooting a stage I drained pellets out of one of your mag. I had to remove the spring and follower and pour out the shot it sounded like a baby rattle. It was on stage two I think, I also think that some of the guys shooting old style shotguns were having the same trouble they had way more jams than normal. :cryss: We plan to be at Black Creek next weekend.

• 3 months later...
Well, These just won't feed, go figure. These are the bulk Wally world Winchester.

The day was hot, but not this hot. Llow to mid 90's, the shells wouldn't know about a heat index so that doesn't count.

Should have known better :( I'd seen the top round open and put some pellets into the mag. I switched it out, but didn't check the lower rounds.

BTW, this would move me completely to metal cased rounds for SD (there were discussions about this a while back, rounds deforming under the lateral pressures of the follower and bottom of the bolt).

well dang-it kenny.....that there winchester stuff is all my saiga WILL shoot...if ya got any left i'll gladly take it offa your hands....

ran about 60 rounds thru it last saturday at the bc3g match without a hiccup...

well dang-it kenny.....that there winchester stuff is all my saiga WILL shoot...if ya got any left i'll gladly take it offa your hands....

ran about 60 rounds thru it last saturday at the bc3g match without a hiccup...

Saw that you shot Sat's match, I did the state IDPA match instead. Good to get you back on a trigger where you belong.

Did you look carefully at the pick? The heat opened those shells up in the box and in the mag :/ But if your saiga likes them, I'll see if I can dig them out of the trash :P

All I use is the Wally World Winchesters in either 7 1/2 or 8. No problems other than the occasional round that snags the barrel top feed ramp, but all ammo does that occasionally. THe gun wasn't designed to use field loads. We are just lucky that we can (and it's a credit tp the design). What's up?

All I use is the Wally World Winchesters in either 7 1/2 or 8. No problems other than the occasional round that snags the barrel top feed ramp, but all ammo does that occasionally. THe gun wasn't designed to use field loads. We are just lucky that we can (and it's a credit tp the design). What's up?

I realize my first post wasn't too clear, so I've edited it. I am dissappointed in Winchester as these had been my first choice in shotgun shells. I really should give them an email and let them know, but I've been too lazy.