Removing front-rear sights??

I would like to remove my front and rear sights on a Saiga 308 so i can low mount a scope....also hate the iron sights...

got the pins out and found out its soldered on (?) any tip on removing it?? would a torch warp the barrel ??

Anyone here done this conversion??

Thank you for your help

Scott

Not sure how much you've invested yet, but here goes -

I have read repeatedly that Saiga 308 owners get far better accuracy from open sites than using a scope on the scope rail. I believe it is because the AK-100 receiver flexes too much for a scope under the 308 firing.

For a solid scope mount for a Saiga-308, I would look into a scout type rail mounted on the rear site. Sounds like you're already on your way to getting it cleared for just such a thing.

I have read repeatedly that Saiga 308 owners get far better accuracy from open sites than using a scope on the scope rail. I believe it is because the AK-100 receiver flexes too much for a scope under the 308 firing.

I will SECOND THAT... IN BLATANT disgust...

I spent hours at the range over the past week TRYING to sight a Saiga 308 in with a scope on a siderail...

Its been a REAL DIRTY WHORE... and not the kind I'd like to have... :D

Open sights... 1.5 inch groups with wolf @ 50M....

with a scope @ 50M... I think the BEST I got today was 3"

IT's not promising....and DAMN FRUSTRATING.....

:smoke:

Edited by IndyArms
I already bought a scope-rings-receiver mount. getting higher rings wouldnt suit me....

is there an easy way to remove the sights???

Thanks

If you're looking to permanently remove them, and want a nice looking gun in the end, I'd look into having a scope rail professionally installed on the rear site block, complete with machining it down to your preferred level. To touch up the muzzle, you could have it threaded for a brake or flash hider.

Regarding what you've already bought, you can sell it on one of these forums. They tend to be much better on the Romanian guns.

I feel the need to comment on the "it shoots better with iron sights" comment.

The gun shoots the same (for all practical purposes) regardless of what sights are used. The person on the other hand, shoots different depending on the sight being used. It doesn't surprise me at all to hear that a lot of people shoot the S308 better with iron sights than they do with a scope... and I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the receiver flexing.

1. Most scope mounts for the Saiga rifles put the scope up high enough that it is difficult, if not impossible, to get a consistent cheek weld.

2. Higher levels of magnification don't just make the target look bigger, they make any movement look bigger. This creates a problem of over compensation. You see the cross-hairs drifting to the left, so you compensate to the right, and go too far, then correct to the left, etc. etc. ad inifinauseum (that last word is my contribution for today).

3. If you're using a russian scope with an SVD pattern reticule, you're not likely to be able to aim as precisely as with a mil-dot or even a standard cross-hair. The chevrons were meant to allow one to take out human targets, not shoot for groups at round bulls-eyes.

4. I'm not going to say anything about the specific skills of the people here, not knowing anything about them, but I would venture a geuss that a lot of problems with accuracy can be safely attributed to shooter error. Wow, that was a run-on sentance. Anyway, something as simple as incorrect posture, possition, breathing, the all-important-trigger-squeeze, etc. can easily affect accuracy. Any of those small things can be exaggerated by any of the other factors mentioned.

As for removing the front sight: it's a press fit. Put it in a vise and whack it (gently) with a hammer, putting a peice of wood between the hammer and the sight. There are plenty of tutorials on removing the rear sight. I hope this has been helpful.

Not all are press fit, mine had something on the inside that looked like epoxy/adhesive after I knocked it off (it took me forever, but it came off with the aforementioned whacking method). I'd also suggest getting a lenthy flash suppressor for the barrel and having it machined to fit where the old front sight used to be. The turned down area isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing.