SAIGE 12 2 PORT ISSUES (I know this has been beaten to death)

Hello all, I know this has been beat to death but I have not found an answer to my searches.

I have a Saiga 12 I bought 6 or 7 years ago. I have converted over and really just started playing with it. It will not shoot low brass. I purchased a tac-47 gas block and that did not help. I started to research and now realize I have only 2 gas ports. Obviously this is the problem. I know as far as warranty that is long gone. What can I do to correct the issue. Currently the gun is completely broken down with the gas block off.

Hello all, I know this has been beat to death but I have not found an answer to my searches.

I have a Saiga 12 I bought 6 or 7 years ago. I have converted over and really just started playing with it. It will not shoot low brass. I purchased a tac-47 gas block and that did not help. I started to research and now realize I have only 2 gas ports. Obviously this is the problem. I know as far as warranty that is long gone. What can I do to correct the issue. Currently the gun is completely broken down with the gas block off.

The answers are ALL in this forum -- spend the time to read and learn

I refuse to give a man a fish (unless they are in danger of starving --), rather they need to learn to fish for themselves...

Edited by Odd Man Out
  • Like 1

LIke I stated I have done the research. This is all I do. I cannot do warranty work as my gun is older. Filing or "D"ing my gas block would provide no benefit as it is large enough to adequately expose the 2 gas ports. I am unsure of drilling the existing holes because of over gassing from what I have read, nothing I have read says I should. I have tried to contact CadizGunWorks and RAA? and have had no luck. I have also considered drilling a third hole but I cannot find anything stating that would work.

Bottom line I was specific on my particular issue. I have 2 gas ports I cannot get warranty work I have the gun broken down to correct the problem. What would my method of correction be? Or to be very specific....what is done to complete warranty work?

If you have information I would certainly appreciate it, if not can you DIRECT me to a source?

Keep your fish I have Plenty in the freezer......

Also, my 2 gas ports measure approximately .080 give or take a couple of thousandth

Edited by nortac
  • Like 1

Search out Vodka Special - usually Google is better than the forum search for searching the forum.

What size are your ports?

Are the ports blocked inside the Gas Block? Can you see light if you take out the Gas Plug and Puck and shine a beam in the muzzle?

That's a good start. Post some pics.

How worn in is your bolt / bolt carrier?

Good luck,

I have 2 gas ports I cannot get warranty work I have the gun broken down to correct the problem. What would my method of correction be? Or to be very specific....what is done to complete warranty work?

If you have information I would certainly appreciate it, if not can you DIRECT me to a source?

Keep your fish I have Plenty in the freezer......

Also, my 2 gas ports measure approximately .080 give or take a couple of thousandth

1. Drill a third gas port according to what you have learned on this forum

2. Enlarge all ports to .083

3. Adjust the Autoplug to suit according to the video provided on the website

As for the warranty -- what warranty????? Nothing to worry about

you should be fine

Find room in your freezer for the extra fish...

And they say Americans are getting less capable....

1. Drill a third gas port according to what you have learned on this forum

2. Enlarge all ports to .083

3. Adjust the Autoplug to suit according to the video provided on the website

As for the warranty -- what warranty????? Nothing to worry about

you should be fine

Find room in your freezer for the extra fish...

And they say Americans are getting less capable....

Thanks for the information but as I stated the port size is approx .080 as I am not measuring it at the moment but it was close enough to .083.

2 I have watched the video for the tac-47 and adjusted as shown. It did not work because of the apparent 2 gas ports issue.

3 Warranty is something I have read over and over in my "research" regarding correcting the older 2 port issue

Also, the gun is relatively new as far as "use" is concerned. After the conversion I put it in the safe. Recently as I stated I started to play with it. It has had less than three boxes fired through it.

To make it really simple. Does anyone know what was done exactly that say CadizGunWorks did to correct the 2 port issue relating to warranty work? Was a third hole drilled?

Not trying to sound or be difficult. I would not even be asking this if I found the information I was searching for over the last 4 or 5 days. I have read much about the issue but nothing that exactly resolved what I am asking other than "I sent my S12 to so and so and now it rocks!". I can do the smithing work just wanting to know the best way to fix the older 2 port issue.

I would put the factory plug back in and everything else to start. Have you tried searching for a third port with a paperclip? Read the bolt polish sticky or send it to one of our business members for reprofiling. Reprofile the hammer. I'm gonna say it.......... Shoot more with higher powered rounds to break it in. But yes if you only have 2 ports, you need a third port.

I would put the factory plug back in and everything else to start. Have you tried searching for a third port with a paperclip? Read the bolt polish sticky or send it to one of our business members for reprofiling. Reprofile the hammer. I'm gonna say it.......... Shoot more with higher powered rounds to break it in. But yes if you only have 2 ports, you need a third port.

The gun would not cycle low brass with the stock gas plug. The bolt is slick as owl shit as I have done some work on that in the past. I might need to correct the round count. I have put 2 or 3 boxes through it recently. Probably another three boxes of 00 when I bought it.

Gun is completely broken down. No paper clips needed. Yes, only 2 ports. So based on what you are saying I should drill out a third hole? I know where the location for a third hole needs to go and I understand the angle. I would assume it is 3/32 or .083 as well.

If you sent it to Cadiz Im sure it would be a standard drilling the third port, and maybe polishing of the bolt. Then watch your gun like a raped....... Sounds like you got it!

Edited by Yoshi

I'm just saying, you would not be the first to think they only had 2 ports and then found another. Why Is it you are so sure without checking with a paperclip? If you don't mind me asking.

Also reprofiling your bolt is different than polishing, so there may be room for improvement. What about your hammer?

You may also want to try a booster puck.

FYI- My gun runs anything and one of my ports is obstructed, so I basically have 2.

I'm just saying, you would not be the first to think they only had 2 ports and then found another. Why Is it you are so sure without checking with a paperclip? If you don't mind me asking.

Also reprofiling your bolt is different than polishing, so there may be room for improvement. What about your hammer?

FYI- My gun runs anything and one of my ports is obstructed, so I basically have 2.

WOW I am sorry but did you even read my post over and over? The gun is broken down and the gas block is off the gun and there are only 2 gas ports. I am fairly certain a paperclip isn't going to help...............

IMG-20110913-00090.jpg

Yoshi I will call CadizGunWorks tomorrow....thanks

I would punch two more holes. One above and one below (centered) of the existing two. Make them about .063 - .067"

That should do it. If not, open the two new ports up a bit, like .073-.076". Even if your barrel bore is way oversize, it should run low base with four at .080" no problem, but I don't think you'll have to go that big. Generally speaking, it is better to run more ports of a smaller size, than fewer of a larger size.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

• Like 1

I would punch two more holes. One above and one below (centered) of the existing two. Make them about .063 - .067"

That should do it.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Awesome! That is what and all I needed to know.....LOL all my original conversion stuff came from you

Thanks Tony!

What is your barrel length? 19" or 24"? Just curious, as a 2-port 24" is the norm. My 24" didnt cycle low brass well until i put in an md puck and oiled the snot out of it.

It's 19" and from what I have read these were shipped over here, however many years ago, set for russian military specs with no intentions of shooting low brass. I do not know this for fact but what I have read which helps explain the issue I am having.

WOW I am sorry but did you even read my post over and over? The gun is broken down and the gas block is off the gun and there are only 2 gas ports. I am fairly certain a paperclip isn't going to help...............

IMG-20110913-00090.jpg

Yoshi I will call CadizGunWorks tomorrow....thanks

Lol, sorry. I'm an idiot. Just trying to help.

But seriously you might want to give the paperclip a try.:)

Lol, sorry. I'm an idiot. Just trying to help.

But seriously you might want to give the paperclip a try.:)

LOL now that is funny! smile.gif

I drilled out the two holes this evening and got the gun put back together. I will get out this weekend and see how she does. I will keep ya'll informed.

Thanks again for the info!