chinese norinco 7.62x39

so I was in a gun store that I used to visit alot when I worked in the area and I noticed he had a buttload of Chinese norinco 7.62x39 behind behind the counter, unfortunately I was flat broke when I was in there and didn't get to buy any. But my question is, isn't that stuff banned or something and is it steel core? He was only asking 8 something a box, soon as I get paid I want to go back and load up on it if it's something rare. Luckily most people in that area are into hunting rifles and AR's and not AK so most wouldn't even know he's got it or that it was anything special if it was.

thoughts?

Some of it's steel-core, some of it isn't. If it's steel-core (and therefore legally defined as "armor-piercing pistol ammunition"), and he holds an FFL, technically he isn't supposed to be selling it. That said, if it is steel-core Chinese ammo, eight to ten bucks is about what I usually see it go for at gun shows. I have a bunch of the steel-core stuff in the yellow boxes with red lettering. The casings are an odd purple, I'm assuming lacquer-coated steel.

it's been a few days since I was there so my memory is fuzzy but I think they where in yellow boxes, didn't actually look at the rounds. I'm curious now, I'm gonna have to try and make a trip out there this weekend and pick up a couple of boxes and see what they are, if I had to guess I wouldn't think they would be steel core.

Some of it's steel-core, some of it isn't. If it's steel-core (and therefore legally defined as "armor-piercing pistol ammunition"), and he holds an FFL, technically he isn't supposed to be selling it. That said, if it is steel-core Chinese ammo, eight to ten bucks is about what I usually see it go for at gun shows. I have a bunch of the steel-core stuff in the yellow boxes with red lettering. The casings are an odd purple, I'm assuming lacquer-coated steel.

I guess that means all my x54R surplus is illegal for sale by all the surplus outlets I bought it from. 95% of the Russian/Hungarian/Romanian/Polish is steel cored.

The AP designation was given to it by the Libtard Media and Libtards in general. It's no more armor piercing than any other steel cored ammo out there. AP rounds have a special hardened tip to them, and are designated with a black tip( I know....I have some AP rounds). The Chicom steel core lacks this tip. Yes, it was banned from import by Clinton, just like other Chinese weapons. It is still 100% legal for sale, as my local shop sells it when they get it.

$8 per 20 is a good low-end price. I've seen it go as high as $20 per box at the gun show.

I guess that means all my x54R surplus is illegal for sale by all the surplus outlets I bought it from. 95% of the Russian/Hungarian/Romanian/Polish is steel cored.

The AP designation was given to it by the Libtard Media and Libtards in general. It's no more armor piercing than any other steel cored ammo out there. AP rounds have a special hardened tip to them, and are designated with a black tip( I know....I have some AP rounds). The Chicom steel core lacks this tip. Yes, it was banned from import by Clinton, just like other Chinese weapons. It is still 100% legal for sale, as my local shop sells it when they get it.

$8 per 20 is a good low-end price. I've seen it go as high as $20 per box at the gun show.

well guess I should grab some while the getting is good then huh

Since there is not yet a recognized pistol chambered in 7.62x54R, steel core, even genuine AP ammunition is still legal to import. Armor piercing ammunition is not banned from import by federal law - "armor piercing handgun ammunition" is. Since there are pistols produced in 7.62x39, .308, and .30-06, these rifle calibers fall under the ban. If you somehow inferred that I support this asinine law, you are sorely mistaken. I am well aware of the differences between steel-core ammunition and real AP, as a collector of military surplus including a moderate collection of historic armor-piercing ammunition. I even have a single live 1943 Russian 14.5mmx114mm cartridge :D

FFLs are not allowed to sell "armor piercing handgun ammunition" except under certain circumstances. Many do so anyway, largely out of ignorance.

OK. I called my FFL bud today, and got the skinny. Shandlanos, you are correct. The newer surplus steel core rounds have a lead "buffer" between the jacket and core, and thus are not classed under the AP lingo. The new 5.45x39mm rounds haven't been hit with the handgun classification yet, thus the reason importers/FFL holders can carry/sell it. Hold on, BATFE's working on it, though. Here's the article explaining the confusion:

http://yarchive.net/gun/politics/armorpiercing.html

Yes, individuals can sell it, but FFL's have to follow "bound book" protocol. The exception to the rule(per my FFL, which he confirmed through the BATFE personally) is if the FFL is selling the ammo on a consignment basis. From my FFL: "It's a thin gray line there, because the FFL technically isn't selling the AP, but allowing an individual to "rent" a portion of his/her counter space to sell the item(s), much like a flea market or gun show table. If the FFL is attempting to sell the AP classed rounds on his/her own, and not following "bound book" protocol, then they are in commission of a felony." And, yes, we have private individuals who set up tables at our local gun shows to sell their firearms, which is perfectly legal in my state. FTF sales are NOT regulated in MT.

The Chinese rounds are/were classed as AP for the simple fact the entire core is steel with a thin copper jacket. 2 statements in the above article show how the BATFE twisted this around(think Black Talons being called "Cop Killers" even though it was proven they would NOT penetrate body armor):

5) Hardness of the bullet is irrelevant. 6) Ability to actually penetrate any kind of soft body armor is irrelevant.

So the short answer is YES the Chicom bullets are legal to own, but if the seller is a FFL, he/she is breaking the law selling it unless it is on consignment.

OK. I called my FFL bud today, and got the skinny. Shandlanos, you are correct. The newer surplus steel core rounds have a lead "buffer" between the jacket and core, and thus are not classed under the AP lingo. The new 5.45x39mm rounds haven't been hit with the handgun classification yet, thus the reason importers/FFL holders can carry/sell it. Hold on, BATFE's working on it, though. Here's the article explaining the confusion:

http://yarchive.net/gun/politics/armorpiercing.html

Yes, individuals can sell it, but FFL's have to follow "bound book" protocol. The exception to the rule(per my FFL, which he confirmed through the BATFE personally) is if the FFL is selling the ammo on a consignment basis. From my FFL: "It's a thin gray line there, because the FFL technically isn't selling the AP, but allowing an individual to "rent" a portion of his/her counter space to sell the item(s), much like a flea market or gun show table. If the FFL is attempting to sell the AP classed rounds on his/her own, and not following "bound book" protocol, then they are in commission of a felony." And, yes, we have private individuals who set up tables at our local gun shows to sell their firearms, which is perfectly legal in my state. FTF sales are NOT regulated in MT.

The Chinese rounds are/were classed as AP for the simple fact the entire core is steel with a thin copper jacket. 2 statements in the above article show how the BATFE twisted this around(think Black Talons being called "Cop Killers" even though it was proven they would NOT penetrate body armor):

5) Hardness of the bullet is irrelevant. 6) Ability to actually penetrate any kind of soft body armor is irrelevant.

So the short answer is YES the Chicom bullets are legal to own, but if the seller is a FFL, he/she is breaking the law selling it unless it is on consignment.

The Chinese rounds are still mostly lead - I've torn apart a few of my chicom steel-core rounds, and the "steel core" just looks like a little chunk of mild steel wire once you pry it out of the lead after cutting off the jacket.

Whether it's steel-core or not, Chicom ammo is scarce since it is no longer importable. I think the only thing we're still able to import from China in terms of firearms/ammo are sporting shotguns, maybe shotgun shells.