1911 as stand alone .22 auto

Back years ago, I was all tacticool and would never own a firearm that was not intended as a serious weapon. until the day I tried to have my favorite FFL order me a .22 conversion kit for my SA Loaded (even ball will put you in the poorhouse with a .45, this unit would pay for itself in no time). I ended up walking out later that day with a 5.5" blue MKII 22/45, NIB for a fair amount less than the kit would have been. Now at that point, it was still just a trainer (the kit would have allowed my own real .45 trigger and controls, holster, etc. Then I shot the bastard and discovered how much fun I just bought for so little money. And with the legit role as, uh, 'for survival purposes and bugging out'(I knew right there in the store it had zero familiar feel to my 1911, but couldn't make sense of buying a puny top half with 2 expensive mags, vs. this whole other gun, for less money), not to mention Ruger .22 autos have done a lot of quiet funny business so even had the evil factor. That was my first and last .22 pistol (there was a SA Heritage convertable revolver I wore out, though was not the owner), but I've wanted one ever since I foolishly got rid of the 22/45.

Years have passed and while she (ol' Slabsides) ruins you for anything else, I prefer Glock (and Steyr, my G19 is 3 weeks old and looking already to trade up for the new C9 Steyr just hate how uncommon they are and related problems) and back to 9x19 at that. I do plan to purchase a 1911 again (95% sure it will be the Remington R1-all I want, nothing I don't and fair price; The only other choice would be an itch that's needing scratching for over a decade, a .38 Super GM-I could live with it being a Rock Island), they are a must have just for shooting so well, better than anything, let alone historical and patriotic interest. But I don't see one ever returning as my go-to strap. In some offensive handgun role, as ever the best choice, but I'm fuckin' factory worker who looks for edges in realistic scenarios.

Replacing that 22/45 never happened because while as dirt cheap as quality pistols get, it was just a toy for me, unto the sport/drinking game known as plinking.I figured it would be a Buckmark, as they have a nicer trigger and knowing nothing about it, guarantee it does not suck shit to take down and clean like a Ruger does. I kind of liked the Walther P-22 too for the awesome utilitarian size. Thought the GSG-5 PK had great machine pistol looks and should work as well as any, but too mall ninja ish. I also have been creaming for a PMR-30 since it's conception, but as a WMR with 30 rds flush, it is a different animal, solution to problems you have fun dreaming up (and the simpleton's 5.7).

And with the semi-recent trend of .22 LR clones of various centerfire weapons, came .22 1911s by Chiappa and ATI (which word is, the better of the two), 70-some years after the Colt Ace. I paid little attention.

I had started the year hoping to get a 1911 in 2011, but have had limited finances in rebuilding an entire battery of firearms (and am not done, or close to collecting superflouous crap). But I really have no real use for a 1911 except to have a 1911. But if it was in .22? Definately. Does it seem odd? I don't think so. What if a guy just liked the feel and look of a GSG-5 more than that of an ordinary 10/22?

IDK if I'll get that GSG-1911-22 by 12/31/11, and who cares, it's no more 1911 than a Star BM is, a real anniversary .45 should naturally be a Colt. Anyway, I'm getting a PF-9 by the end of Oct., after that, keep saving for expensive stuff. But I have a hunch the next time I mow down rows of Coors, Monster and Pepsi cans what will be in my hand. Whether it seems right or not.