Stock, mags barrel questions 762x39 Sagia

I am just into the Saga 7.62x39. I have done a bit of reading but do have a few questions.

I was at a gun show this afternoon and one of the dealers had what, I think, I am looking for.

Questions

Barrel

Are all Sagia barrels chrome lined? I couldn't look down the barrel but it didn't look like it from looking at the muzzle. My SKS is chrome lined and you can see it easily from the muzzle. Is it better to get the chrome lined barrel? Does it make that much difference. The ammo I shoot is non corrosive.

Stock

I want to, at some time, do a conversion to the rifle. I found that there are two ways to go when it comes to the stock. Tapco makes the T6 stock with pistol grip and the other one is the ak looking solid stock. I like the Tapco but the question is why wouldn't you go with the Tapco. You don't have to do all the mods to get the trigger moved. Will this have a negative effect on something? I read somewhere that someone said you can't reach the safety with your hand on the pistol grip with the tapco stock. I can't reach the safety with the sporter stock anyway.

What is the advantage to using the other stock that requires the trigger to be moved forward?

Mags

I would like to be able to use standard ak mags. What do I need to do to mod the Sagia to accept ak mags? Do I need a bullet guide.

thanks for the help guys

As far as I know all the Saiga rifle barrels are chrome lined and chromed lined barrels should last a bit longer, but either should last a long time. People usually say that nonchromed barrels are more accurate, but the average person probably won't notice that much difference. If you were going to shoot corrosive I think that I would prefer the chrome lined barrel, but if you just shoot noncorrosive then either should be fine. I haven't shot any corrosive ammo in mine yet, as the noncorrosive has been plentiful in my area.

As for the stocks, I have tried the T6 route but I didnt care for the balance. I actually preferred the standard Saiga stock to the T6, just seemed like my reach was extended too far even with the T6 fully collapsed. When I finally converted one of my Saiga's to the AK stock and moved the actual trigger group forward it improved the balance of the rifle tremendously. If I had it to do over I would not waste the money on the T6 stock, I would just do the buttstock, pistol grip and trigger conversion and call it a day, but that is just my opinion. When it comes down to it, it is really your choice and that is all that matters. People say the stock Saiga triggers are bad, but really I never thought mine were. With that said once I converted/restored one of my rifles the tapco trigger does seem to be a little more crisp and has less slack as well.

As for the mags, a little dremel or file work on the top of the mag catch is all it takes on the 7.62 rifles, you should not have to mess with the mags at all. Take a standard steel AK mag and try it after filing the top of the mag catch on the rifle a little bit. (if you have access to 2 or 3 mags try them all just to allow for minor discrepancies between the mags). If it does not fit, then remove a little more by file or dremel each time try the mag till you get it working. You only have to take off maybe 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch for it to work. Just dont get file or dremel happy and grind a bunch off without trying the mag every so often for fit. In addition to my standard Saiga, I had an Arsenal converted Saiga and used it as kind of a guide, and mine came out pretty good. I think you will need the bullet guide on the 7.62 when using the standard AK mags, at least I did, as the mags don't have a front lip to ramp the cartridges up into the chamber like the stock Saiga mags do. With the bullet guide installed mine have been flawless. When you tap the threads for the bullet guide screw just use oil and go slow maybe a 1/4 turn at a time and back out a bit, so you dont break the tap off in your screw hole.

The conversions are super easy after you do your first one and get over the initial fear of possibly messing up you new, $350-$550 rifle. For the basic buttstock, pistol grip and trigger conversion you only need a screw driver, rubber mallet, small punch, small hammer, a drill, and dremel or file and a little patience. If you can use a drill, screwdriver, dremel and/or file, then you should do fine on the conversion. There are links to lots of good videos on this site and tons of good how to information as well. Good luck and let us know what you go with.

TJohn

Thanks for the info. I am on a crash course with the Saiga. LOL Not really but I have done a lot of studying over the past couple of days.

Ok so the problem with the regular AK mags fitting the Saiga is the mag catch. I don't need a part for that just mod the one that is there. I'll see if I can find a video on it.

I was at the gun show this afternoon like I said before. I am still learning the basics on the Sagia yet so I didn't pull the trigger, so to speak. As I recall the one I looked at didn't have the dimples on the receiver. How important are they? If I order one should that be a question I should ask and only get one with the dimples? I thought I read they helped in making the mag fit snugger. Again I dono.

One last thing. Does it matter who imports the rifle as long as it's made in Izhmash?

Thanks again for the help

Edited by thumbs1

That's right Thumbs1, you shouldn't need a part for the mag catch unless you grind/file too much off, lol. I do believe you will need the bullet guide though to make the original AK type mags 100%. Your stock Saiga mag probably won't work with the rifle once the bullet guide is installed unless the front lip of the Saiga mag is modified. It is sometimes nice to have just a ten round mag so I modified my Saiga factory mags to work with the bullet guide.

As far as I know it shouldn't matter who the importer is as long as it has Saiga / Izhmash on the receiver. All the new Saiga's I have bought or handled recently had the old importers info hashed out and replaced by the name of the more recent importer.

The biggest worry everyone seems to have is whether the rifle has dimples on the magwell, as that seems to be the preferred version (looks more like the real deal AK's). I think the dimples look better myself, but don't see it affecting civilian function if it is a version without dimples. Some people swear that the dimples make the mags fit tighter, personally I don't think it makes ten cents difference on the mag fit, as the dimples are really just intended to add strength to the stamped receiver. Saiga mag wells seem sufficiently tight whether they have dimples or not, I have a .223 Saiga without dimples and the mags aren't loose. Remember we are talking Saiga's (better quality from the start), not jacked up Century WASR-10's (for all you Century WASR lovers out there), LOL.:haha:

Edited by TJohn

My older Saiga Rifles have the importer identified as "Russian American Armory Company" (probably 2006 manufacture date), while some newer ones have "Legion USA, Inc." (appears to be 2009 manufacture date), and my newest acquisitions have both: "Mercury Hermes" and "Legion Izhevsk Russia" on them (also 2009 manufacture date). At least for my collection, the 5.45 x 39 and 7.62 x 39 rifles have dimples while the .223 and .308 rifles do not. If I recall correctly there was a thread or two or three discussing the importers here on this board. (Edited to provide corrected information.)

Edited by TJohn
  • Like 1

My bad, I had just seen that rifle again while browsing the CSS site, the actual thread dealt with Atlantic advertising it, here is the link to that one: http://forum.saiga-1...out-of-the-box/. There may be a couple other threads as well. The one on CSS's website looks like the same rifle on Atlantic's website, but they have different model numbers for some reason. If they are not the same rifle, I am sure someone here can correct me if I am wrong. Like I said just presenting it as an option depending on how much you wanted to do to the rifle or have already done to it, it may or may not be worth the price difference over the one you were looking at.

Edited by TJohn

I'm mostly done converting my 7.62x39. I got the trigger/stock/handguard conversion kit from Carolina, as well as the bullet guide. Using a standard Saiga stock with their trigger made for a poorly balanced rifle. The new Tapco M4 style stock and SAW grip definitely makes the rifle handier. I installed the bullet guide and I started grinding the mag catch a little at a time, and got it so the AK mag catches but doesn't fully engage. I hand cycled a mag full using both the Saiga mag and the AK mag and both work now with no more mods. I need to hit the range in the next few days to test them during firing. So far so good.

Jim