Remove the FSB

I actually just did this tonight. The way I did it was I used a Dremel to cut a horizontal line down each side of the FSB sleeve until I was just about through to the barrel. I stopped and used a rubber mallet and beat the FSB off. You are not trying to cut all the way through to the barrel. You are simply just trying to cut the metal thin enough that you can use a hammer or mallet to get it off the rest of the way.

If yours is pinned on then someone else will have to chip in on how to best remove it. Mine just had the dimples.

How about the best way to install a surplus Ak-74 FSB?

The way I did it was I cut off the old FSB (as described in my previous post), and then used a different FSB that I got from Dinzag Arms that is threaded to accept a '74 muzzle brake. All I did was simply used a rubber mallet to pound it on until it was flush with the muzzle. You have to make sure your the FSB is not canted though. There are different methods to this, like using a laser bore sight or shooting it to see where its at. After you have the FSB straight, use a drill press and drill holes through the bottom of the FSB that will go through the very bottom of the barrel (you can see clearly on the FSB where to drill the holes). After that, use a hammer and punch to put in the little pins that will hold it on the barrel.