Let me start by saying this is my first post and that i am a proud new owner of a couple Saiga .410 shotguns... I was

looking into a home defense set up for my mom, with minimum recoil but plenty of stopping power, due to her petite build.

Throughout my research, I began to realize that i might really need a Saiga .410 myself, haha. So i bought two. One for me

and one for mom. With that being said, here is my question: I am thinking about buying a replacement piston. What

company makes the best piston for a new S-410 and does it do anything for the performance of the firearm or will it just be

a cheap compliance part? Which ones, if any, have people tried? Also is the installation difficult? I assume its rather easy

considering its an AK platform but you never know and i havent broken down my new gun yet... I have also read about

replacing the gas plug with an MD v-plug but is it really necessary with the .410? Thanks for any and all

advice, opinions and help! If there is anything about replacing a piston i should know but havent ask, please feel free to

inform me of that too. Ill take all the "good" coaching I can get. Never afraid to ask a question. I am new to the Saiga line

of guns but I really like what I have seen so far.

Thanks again

Lostdog54

post-36938-0-76401500-1318027889_thumb.jpeg

2- SGM 15 rd Mags

2- SGM 10 rd Mags

DPH Russian 7 Slot Flash Hider

I really can't think of a reason to replace the gas piston on these unless yours is broken. If you want to improve the gun, restore the trigger and grip to their intended configuration, give this thread a read, http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/39651-why-should-you-convert-your-saiga/

Welcome to the forum, hope this helps.

I was thinking that having already replaced the stock, forearm, and muzzle attachment with US made parts. The gas piston would be a cheap and simple solution to being compliant using even russian mags... I have been using US made mags in order to be compliant but with the addition of the gas puck, I would be compliant even without a US made mag. I would really like to be able to order some of the mags in sizes only made in russia... I plan on doing a full conversion on my saiga 12 when i get the money. I might even do a full conversion on my s410 eventually but that will be when i have the money too... Thanks for the help and the welcomes

Gas puck or gas piston? Gas piston attaches to the carrier, gas puck is the metal disk between the gas ports and gas piston. Restoring the trigger to the proper configuration and addding a US made FCG would add three more 922r parts and give you plenty to use any mag you wanted.

I thought like you until i read this... Hahaha

Shotgun Pistons…

It’s been the general understanding that the grooved plug in the gas block on the shotguns is considered the piston and the rod on the bolt carrier is either and operating rod or carrier extension. The gas piston on the rifles and other AK’s is the part that is threaded into the bolt carrier.

You can find this here: file:///Users/michaeloconnell/Desktop/Parts%20Count%20on%20Saiga%20Shotguns%20and%20Rifles%20-%20forum.Saiga-12.com.webloc

Seems to be a pretty reliable source, Dinzag...

It does mention this is a gray area but MD Arms and CSS make pucks/pistons and state they are compliant parts with USA markings... Pretty confusing. Im no gunsmith and know very little about trigger groups. Seeing as I have already replaced the stock with a Tapco T6 collapsible stock/piston grip, SGM Tri-rail forearm, DPH Arms Flash Hider, all US made, thats three out of four parts on the ATF list to make it compliant. I was thinking the puck/piston would be a quick, cheap and easy to install fourth US made part to make me compliant with any mag, without doing a full conversion right now. I was just wondering what brand or brands of puck/piston that people have used and would recommend. And if these pucks gave any real performance boost to the 410. Or truly helped keep them clean. I have read a lot about the s12 have trouble cycling lighter loads and the 410 is a pretty light load in general. Since it is such a light load, is it necessary in order to get a s410 to cycle properly?

If anyone has used a gas puck or piston or whatever they are, please let me know what you thought and what it did for your gun if anything...

• 3 months later...

After reading this thread looks like nobody has had any experience with changing the puck. I'm hoping something has changed recently. In order to be in 922r compliance I'm going to be changing the piston/puck in my Saiga 410 and am hoping someone can recommend one for me. There are multiple offerings from different manufacturers and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with any of them, good or bad. Tapco, twister, Magnum, standard etc. etc.. I will be adding a pistol grip with out relocating the FCG so it is necessary for me to change other parts to get the compliance number I need and the piston/puck will be one of them. Thank you in advance, Paul

Edited by Themajickman

My .410 will eject shells a good 20+ feet. I thru a magnum twister puck in and calmed it down. Pretty much any S12 puck will work with a 20 or .410.

Bunya_Bizness, I don't see any 2.5" mags on Dinzags site. Did you buy him out?