5.45 bolt question

Lets start with a more scholarly endeavor, the differences between the two Izhevsk factories.

Being as they produce different makes/models of firearms, they need to be differentiated when referenced.

Our Saigas (kalashnikov) are manufactured in the Izhevsk Izmash plant, usually referred to simply as Izmash.

Izhevsk Mechanical Plant (Russian: Ижевский Mеханический Завод) or IZHMEKH (ИЖМЕХ) is a major firearms manufacturer founded in Izhevsk in 1942 for manufacturing small arms. After the end of World War II it continued producing firearms, both for military and hunting applications, and later high-tech weapons and civilian machinery. After the Dissolution of the Soviet Union the range of civilian products was greatly expanded, but firearms are still its major production.

Since 1960 Izhmekh supplies hunting shotguns for export under the trademark "Baikal".

It is widely known for having developed and manufactured Makarov and Yarygin pistols.

Izhevsk Machine-Building Plant (RTS:IGMA) (Russian: Ижевский Mашиностроительный Завод) or IZHMASH (ИЖМАШ) is a weapons manufacturer based in Izhevsk, founded in 1807 at the decree of Tsar Alexander I, and is now one of the largest corporations in its field. It makes the famous Kalashnikov series of assault rifle, along with a host of other Russian arms, including medium cannons, missiles, and guided shells. Izhmash also produces other goods, such as motorcycles and cars.

Now as to your first question, "uplug"? You mean did they increase the size of the bolt's locking lugs?

Utilize Milsurp bolts? No sir, Saigas are entirely new manufacture, or are you meaning original milspec dimensions?

Not sure I understand, can you please clarify your question?

Edited by ChileRelleno

Thanks for your quick reply, ChileRelleno, as I appreciate having it.

By "uplug" I rather crudely refer to the more meaty locking lug on my Saiga as opposed to a standard milsurp bolt's locking lug. Making quick 'n dirty readings, a Romy G AKM bolt locking lug is 0.408" in length, yet my Saiga's is 0.548". My original guess was this Saiga extension accounts for a tighter bolt lock up when in battery. Hence, I naturally wonder if the Saiga 5.45mm bolt is similarly, relatively well endowed compared to its military brother. When peering straight at an AK's bolt face, with extractor at 10 o'clock, the locking lug I'm referring to is at 5 o'clock. My terminology is improvised and, of course, that leads to confusion.

So, CR, if you have a Bulgy or Romy milsurp 5.45mm bolt laying around in your man cave in addition to a Saiga 5.45mm bolt, I'd be interested to learn if their locking lugs are in anyway dissimilar.

Saiga .308Win bolts have separate, additional lugs altogether, correct?

I was unaware there were two separate plants located in Izhevsk manufacturing small arms. Thanks kindly for this notice which I'll mentally file away.