newbie to Saiga 12 has questions

So I've recently gotten back into guns after an extremely long hiatus, and found a Saiga 12 that I picked up, and have a few questions regarding it, if you would be so kind as to offer up some assistance...

1. Went to the range Sat. and had constant jamming issues....this Saiga had a short upper reciever for a scope mount when I bought it..also had an extended reciever in the case, which I decided to put on instead, and swap my red dot sight off my AR15....big mistake, it seemed, as the gun jammed on both 5 round magazines as well as the pro mag 20 round drum. On a whim, I did some internet searching and found hits regarding problems with this setup, so i removed the sight and extended reciever and the gun fired fine, other than a couple jams on the 20 round drum...

Anyways.....I'd like to be able to shoot slugs thru this gun, and it has what appears to be a choke which is silver soldered or welded on...haven't checked to be certain yet. I noticed lurking thru the site that some have talked about a barrel extension being soldered to the end of the barrel to get a legal length...I'm wondering if this is a possibility, since I can't see soldering a choke on for no reason.....also, I'd think if it had a threaded barrel, that there would be no need to solder the choke on.

The "choke" currently on it measures approx. .720 ID....I've read that a slug runs around .749 give or take, and while some say that the slug will deform to fit thru the choke, I don't like the idea of possibly splitting the choke or barrel, and ruining the gun.

Are there serial numbers, measurements, or some way to tell if this was originally a smooth or threaded barrel with the choke on, if it's a factory piece or not, or how to determine WTF I have?

Here are a couple pictures if these will help...the Saiga on the left, along with my AR15 ORC and .22

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give!

294150_2156316429290_1287861267_32144977_1847320391_n.jpg

308622_2156316989304_1287861267_32144979_407799965_n.jpg

Not sure what you mean by "extended receiver" but it looks like the gun has a UTG quad rail? These are known to cause issues sometimes. Take it off completely and try it. Also plenty of people us the promag 20's without issue but an MD-20 is the gold standard that promag copied and is MANDATORY.

If you want a good rail system go with this

http://www.chaosus.c...TITAN_QUAD_RAIL

The choke should be fine with RIFLED slugs. Rifled slugs are rifled to squeeze through a choke not to make the slug spin. As far as I know they only come with threaded barrel and protector from the factory but people cut the barrel down and solder on a muzzle device bringing the length to the legal requirement of 18". Its just a way to make it alittle shorter but It has to be soldered b/c if removed the barrel would be too short and illegal.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what you mean by "extended receiver" but it looks like the gun has a UTG quad rail? These are known to cause issues sometimes. Take it off completely and try it. Also plenty of people us the promag 20's without issue but an MD-20 is the gold standard that promag copied and is MANDATORY.

The choke should be fine with RIFLED slugs. Rifled slugs are rifled to squeeze through a choke not to make the slug spin. As far as I know they only come with threaded barrel and protector from the factory but people cut the barrel down and solder on a muzzle device bringing the length to the legal requirement of 18". Its just a way to make it alittle shorter but It has to be soldered b/c if removed the barrel would be too short and illegal.

is the choas system made in the usa?

is the choas system made in the usa?

Yes

Made by this man

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/user/11513-cameron-hadley/