RPK rear sight in Saiga 12????

A while back BVAMP I think commented on a post concerning stuff on the Saiga SWAT model that the rear sight could possibly be a modified RPK sight. Anyway, as I toy with mine from time to time I ran down a RPK sight for sale, the hole for the barrel to pass through was quoted as being .888". If I'm picking up the right spot on my barrel where it would mount the barrel (Saiga 12) is 1.120". Ball park without part in hand has me opening the hole .120" all the way around. Man I just dont think there's enough meat on the rear sight area to take that much material off, but without dropping $35 to play, who knows. Anyone, Anyone......

Anybody know about RPK construction that can help me out before I jump off the cliff. For that much, do RPK's come in different calibers that would account for a sight base that may have a larger diameter hole?

post-1866-1123554390.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

I have been playing around with a rear sight like that from a Bulgie AK-74 trying to find a way to make it work on my AKS-12 and it is not even close to being the right size. I don't know about the RPK but with the Bulgy one I have it would be impossible to remove that much mtrl. and still have anything left. The front part that goes around the bbl sits right where the enlarged chamber area is. The O.D. on the chamber is about 1 1/8" and the front part of the sight base is less than 7/8" measured on the outside.

I might have just answered my own question about the difference in diameters, but I just noticed that the part in question is from a RPK 74 and might have a smaller barrel than a standard RPK. Keep watching Cobra and maybe someone can comment on what I should be looking for.