Varmint hunting with Saiga

Long story short, grandfather-in-law is kicking around the idea of having a varmint hunting trip in Arizona. Don't know much else about it, and I've never even been to Arizona. In the past, he has done a lot of Javilina hunting with a Mini-14, and says that rifle has always worked great for him despite its shortcomings.

Given that fact, I've thought about bringing my converted 16" Saiga .223, which I haven't even tried out with an optic yet. I already have a very nice 6x24 target scope to go on the Saiga; just needs a side-rail and rings.

My only other viable rifle is a .243, which is a great choice too, but I would like to have a semi if possible.

I've never hunted anything but big game, nor with anything less than a .243, but I thought.. Someone here has to be using their small-caliber Saiga rifles to take out some varmints or small game. Any stories? Pics?

I haven't ever gone hunting(I might some day),but my friend uses his 20" .223 for coyotes (6 one shot kills so far) and rabbets. He described the one rabbet story like so...

Saw it about 75yards away eating something, brought up the weapon, flicked off the safety, and BOOM!!! A 62g hollow point turned it inside out.

That's when he learned to use the .22LR rather then .223 for things you might kill if you accedentaly stepped on one.

This site may interest you

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/index.shtml

A friend of mine uses his (.223) AR for coyotes. It works pretty well, but he also has a very good eye for range (I think it took him 3 shots to drop the coyote at 300yds, 2 for range and one to hit the now-running 'yote).

I would make sure that I zero'd the scope first.

You may want to check Arizona's shooting regs, too. At least in Idaho, you can't have more than 3 rounds in the magazine.