Newbie 223 questions

Hello:

I'm considering buying a new Saiga 223 and intend on leaving it in factory configuration except for a TAPCO piston. Are there any known peculiarities to the 223 model or is it the typical AK reliability in a 22 caliber package? Also, is the gun chambered in 223 or 5.56?

thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

No issues with the .223 Saiga. They exhibit typical AK47 reliability and tend be a bit more accurate than their 7.62 brethren. In part to .223 simply flying better than 7.62 and the Saiga .223 barrel wall is thicker since they use the same barrel for 7.62 and .223.

They are chambered for 5.56 by all accounts. You'll end up being a Saiga .223 junkie in no time.

Sean

SEAN, Poe,, and Timy:

Thanks for the information and positive encouragement. And it's my understanding that the piston replacement would satisfy 922 compliance regulations for use with 20 round magazines, please correct me if I'm wrong. This is my first venture into AK's and there seems to be a lot to learn.

thanks,

Jeff

SEAN, Poe,, and Timy:

Thanks for the information and positive encouragement. And it's my understanding that the piston replacement would satisfy 922 compliance regulations for use with 20 round magazines, please correct me if I'm wrong. This is my first venture into AK's and there seems to be a lot to learn.

thanks,

Jeff

In and of itself, changing the piston wouldn't be enough or it would be borderline at best. You are right in that a US mag adds 3 compliance parts though. I'm just more comfortable getting that "magic" number below 10.

• Like 1

The piston would be the one part you need to be legal, but there are several people that like to up it and item or two. You should check the parts list calculator. Look in the 922 section of the forums.The parts that count toward compliance are listed there.

Most people change out the stock to keep it simple and there are lots of options. Other just do a trigger swap for the Tapco trigger. This also makes checking for compliance easy since these parts are external and are marked to be seen easily.

• Like 1

Sean:

Thanks so much for referring me to the compliance tables. So the powers that be would actually rather I replace the furniture with a collapsible/folding stock and pistol grip, a 3 rail forearm with vertical grip, and 100 round drum magazine as opposed to my original concept. I guess I'm not qualified to work for the government, because my obviously limited capacity for common sense won't allow me to see the "big picture". I'm starting to see 2 of these carbines in my future: 1 for hunting and 1 for pure, noisy fun!

thanks again,

Jeff

Sean:

Thanks so much for referring me to the compliance tables. So the powers that be would actually rather I replace the furniture with a collapsible/folding stock and pistol grip, a 3 rail forearm with vertical grip, and 100 round drum magazine as opposed to my original concept. I guess I'm not qualified to work for the government, because my obviously limited capacity for common sense won't allow me to see the "big picture". I'm starting to see 2 of these carbines in my future: 1 for hunting and 1 for pure, noisy fun!

thanks again,

Jeff

Ditto what Sean said. I should have been more clear about the mag (3 parts) and piston being good to go. However, I still prefer to get more compliance parts on the gun. I don't want to be nervous at all if some half trained LEO wants to make an issue out of counting parts. A lot of people like to replace the trigger group, stock, and handguard so they don't have to worry about only using US made mags.

I think the government knows most guns will be converted. They just like to make us jump through unnecessary hoops.

I appreciate everyones input. Took the plunge Saturday and ordered a 223, 5x20 rnd. mags., TAPCO piston, buttpad, flourescent front sight post, and 500 rounds of 55gr. ammo from a 2nd source. Also put a 2nd in lay-a-way. If it handles like I think it will, my AR's going to get lonely.

thank again,

Jeff

sounds like you are off to a good start on the saiga line up. i think you will enjoy the way they run. the barrels have a 1.9.5" twist and i think that mine will run 62gr ammo more accurately than the 55gr. some enjoy the 75gr in theirs most. you may find them heavier rifles than your AR also. The factory trigger is not very impressive and the main reason most will suggest a simple conversion. the trigger is cut off and moved back from the disconnector and reconnected with a plate with a see-saw action. this creates extra drag and slack in the FCG.

IMO the factory stock configuration is awful to the point of being unusable, but you may find that it works for you. For me, it was terrible - I did plan on converting from the start, though.

Once converted, the Saiga .223 is an absolute pleasure to shoot. Even without a muzzle device, recoil and muzzle rise is minimal. Put it on a benchrest and it feels like a hot .22LR.

Edited by mancat

GregM1 and mancat:

Thanks for the input. It's good to know that others have had success with heavier weight bullets as the one I leave as NIB will primarily be used for hunting feral pigs on public land when it's not modern gun deer season. The added added weight when compared to the AR will be welcomed, I like a little "heft" to a hunting rifle. And although it did'nt look like it would, the sporting stock works fine for me which was a pleasant discovery considering my next project.

The next project is Saiga 223 rifle #2. My plan's to build a real "afternoon with the guys" showstopper! SGM Tactical pieces from buttplate to muzzle, including a 100-round drum magazine. If any of this is a bad idea, please let me know.

thanks,

Jeff