Crossing over...

I've been mostly active on the S-12 threads since that's what I own, but I'm searching hard for an S-20. I have a few questions though before I buy. If y'all can help me out and excuse my ignorance, I'd appreciate whatever advise/answers you can offer. Thanks!

1) Can one safely chop the barrel to 18.5? Would gas ports have to be adjusted? It sounds like the stovepiping is an issue with the ports already being too large if Wally-World rounds don't build up the pressure needed to fully eject casings. Would it be better just to plan on enlarging the ports from the very start?

2) Are internal buffers commercially available for it? Blackjack makes a great buffer for the S-12, I imagine it would fit on the S-20, but I don't know if the internals are the same.

3) Is one magazine type better than another? 76mm vs. 70mm? Seems like people have troubles cycling sometimes, I was curious if one worked better than another. Are the S-20 magazines as hard to find as the S-12 ones?

4) Are choke tubes fairly readily available for a 20ga?

5) If it's just for sport (tactical shotgun competitions, skeet, clays), is there a point to changing it to PG? I'm tempted to just leave it as is instead of trying to turn it all fancy, namely b/c I got my S-12 for that. Is it still a comfortable gun if unmodified?

i will answer the ones i know

1. no idea

2. same buffers as the S-12

3. the size matters, a 76mm wont feed 2 3/4 reliably. tyhey are harder to find than S-12, the 12ga is more popular.

4. no clue

5. both of mine are still stock conf. (i am finishing a thumb hole stock for the wife to use, for the added weight) and i have found them to feel about the same as the S-12, a little lighter recoial, but the same otherwise.

"TANTAL", (DOUG FORD,TEXAS) HAD THE 20 MAGS. FAIR PRICE GOOD SERVICE! IF YOU WISH TO SHOOT 2 3/4" STUFF GET THE 20X70 MAGS. THE "DINZAG" POST FOR 10 ROUNDERS X $32 WORKS. THE "TRIGGER" CONVERSION GIVES A MUCH NICER PULL FOR LITTLE BUCKS...WELL WORTH THE MONEY...I THINK? I'VE BEEN USING THE TAPCO DOUBLE HOOK STYLE. THE BOLT HOLD OPEN IS A NICE FEATURE FOR COMPETITION (SEE "JERIC" POST) IF YOU HAVE WORKED ON AK'S ,PULLING THE GAS BLOCK OFF IS NO BIGGIE, SEE MY POST "JAMS". (GAS PORTS TO .086)BUT....GO BUY A $5 COLT.45 SPRING AND SHOOT THE CHEEPO STUFF, AGAIN.... I FEEL MOST JAMS ARE TOO MUCH RECOIL SPRING FOR THE 20'S ON LOW VEL. AMMO. THIS SITE HAS A LOT OF HELPFUL MEMBERS, YOU CAN FIND ALL THE INFO YOU NEED. THESE ANSWERS ARE NOT IN ORDER,BUT SHOULD BE USEFUL?MIKEY1

• 3 weeks later...