22 in. of 308. goodness

i went and received my brown wrapped bundle of happiness that is my new saiga 308 rifle... i cant wait to go out and shoot it... though, it was born july 30th 2004.. its a year old already

question, should the gas piston be bone dry?

Edited by bmanrkg3

As with ANY NEW RIFLE, I would clean it thoroughly... "Just in case".

hand cycle to make sure function, and that sort of thing... just not with live rounds in the house. LOL

I dont believe you need to do any sort of barrel break in, like shoot once, patch once, for ten, then shoot 2, patch for 10 more, etc..etc.. ad nauseum... but yuou can if you want... certainly wouldnt HURT... just probably wouldnt make MUCH difference at all... Some folks SWEAR By it... others cant see the logic....

When cleaning ( After shooting) you may want to remember to remove the gas tube, and clean inside that... a 20 gauge brush and mop with appropriately sized patches work AWESOME for that... really scrubs it out and gets all the powder residue out... thats where it all will collect, of course, is in the gas tube itself...

After cleaning, if going to be stored for any length of time, I would recommend a light coat of a spray oil/rust inhibitor, like Birchwood Casey SHEATH, or one of a dozen other makes from all the gun cleaning companies...throughout the whole rifle... inside and out... never any reason to NOT PROTECT your investment...

Other than that... shoot it, shoot it often, and ENJOY!!!

:smoke:

What Indie said! Also be shure to clean the firing pin and firing pin channel. On any semi-auto this is important! Another concideration on ALL semi-auto weapons is to load 2 rounds ONLY in the first mag. If anything goes wrong 2 rounds are a lot easier to handle with a runaway.

ENJOY!

G O B

What GOB said!!!

I use a spray type cleaner like Birchwood Casey "Gun Scrubber" or a similar evaporating cleaner... brake cleaner works well for this too, to clean the firing pin area... spray it right in, it all drains out with the crud.. and evaporates...

Make a point to be wary, though, as some may discolor the metal... just RE-OIL the metal and all is fine... it degreases so well the metal will turn a lighter grey shade...till it gets a new coat of oil to return it to a normal LOOK...

doesnt HURT anything, just looks funky at first...

:smoke:

So far I found heavy yellow grease in the .308, light oil in the 12Ga. , and gritty dark heavy grease in the .410! Also the .308 has a one piece pin like an SKS, and the shotties have spring loaded 'kinetic' pins. Looks like the 2 types will interchange?

G O B

Congrats on your saiga purchase its the hottest thing to buy on the planet right now. Out of all my 308's I like the saiga the best. All I do to my new saiga's is to moly everything up even the gas piston so nothing will ever show any kind of wear at all. I put some on the trigger sear too it smooths it out like a trigger job was done.