Preference Question for 5.45er's: Thread barrel or new FSB?

Hi guys-

First and foremost, I friggin love this site. I've been lurking around here for about a year, and I seriously walk away smarter after each topic I browse. Which is good, because what I thought I knew about AKs and Saigas comes up to about a 3rd grader level on these boards...:)

So, I'm on my second Saiga rifle project, the smooth-as-butter 5.45, and the conversion process has been going equally smooth, up until this part.

I picked up a US copy of the Bulgy '74 brake, and a 24mm thread adapter, and I was about to order the parts for threading the barrel when I saw how cheap the 74 FSBs have become.

Looking at the picture thread, it looks like most of you made this decision pretty easily, but I'm torn.

On one hand, I'm a little nervous about threading the barrel, though it doesn't look horrible, and on the other the FSB looks more straightforward, but requires more precision- My existing front sight is damn accurate, and I don't know that I can eyeball a measurement any better than your average Russian factory worker. :)

So, what are some of the pros/cons you've run into on threading the barrel vs replacing the FSB?

I'm not a fan of comps or brakes. I'd prefer a straight flash hider.

http://www.m4carbine.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1172502

I am a traditionalist so I would keep my AK 74 style rifles with the original compensator. That being said if it was my primary go to gun I would put a flash suppressor on it- I use rapid aimed fire and not burst so the advantages of a compensator on that weapon are not needed. The Soviets ( now Russians) arent very concerned about flash giving away their position' date=' obviously, and in a conscript army I see their point.

If it is your #1 fighting gun, use a flash suppressor

Be safe

LAV[/quote']

1/2"-28 gives you the option of using newer AR flashhiders, comps and brakes. I've yet to see any comparison where the AAC blackout is beat. You just have to put up with the "piiiing"

If you're pressed for a brake or comp I'm not sure. I don't look into them much. I don't even know how many competition brakes there are. I've never seen a BattleComp comparison to a AK74 style, I'd bet the BattleComp nudges it out though.