Renegade buck adapter install questions

I'm working on installing the adapter on my rifle right now. It lock in to the catch good. I've got the mags to latch in but when I cycle the slide it will feed a couple rounds then the bolt will drop the mag out of the catch. Pmags are worse but it will even push the gi mags loose. They seem to lock in good but the I have to give the bolt a push to get it to close all the way, just the last 1/2in or so. I've been emailing back and forth with Mike about this bit I know quite a few of you have installed this thing so you may have suggestions.

I installed the adapter on two Saiga's so far. The first one had no issues what so ever. On the second rifle, I had a problem similar to yours.

The magazine would lock solidly into the adapter, but I'd have to push the bolt forward a bit to get it to go fully into battery. After closer inspection, the rear part of the bolt, which 'locks' in front of the 'ears' of the front trunnion was making contact with the front right corner of the magazine.

This would be evident if you inspect the front right corner of your magazine for any indications of hard metal contact (missing plastic, or scratches/cuts in the finish of aluminum/steel magazines, near the front right corner where the rotating bolt would contact it).

That's exactly what it's doin, how did you fix this? I was sure that was what was going on but I didnt know if anyone else had this issue. I just ground enough for the gi mag to go straight in. Almost seems like its forward of where it should be but it's against the back of the adapter.

In your case, it sounds like the magazine still isn't totally seated Almost like it goes in deep enough to partially engage the magazine lock on the adapter, but not deep enough to prevent the rotating bolt from disengaging the magazine.

In my case, the problem went away after one or two hand cycles. By then the bolt "adjusted" the magazine by taking a nick out of the magazine corner where it happened to be getting in the way.

After I could hand-cycle dummy rounds from the nicked magazine into the chamber without incident, I checked the headspace with a set of go/no-go gauges (to be sure the rifle wouldn't fire out of battery), and was able to put 90 rounds through that magazine without a FTF, FTE, the magazine ejecting itself, or anything worse.

I put probably a thousand rounds through the rifle since then. I do make sure that I exercise any new magazine by hand cycling before I load up for the range, and I pay more attention to the bolt and front trunnion after a shooting session or regular cleaning just to be on the safe side (looking out for any signs of damage to the bolt, or trunnion cracking that could lead to an out of battery discharge).

By the way, for what it's worth, the nicked magazines still function well in my AR-15.

*Edit* You might try hand cycling with the magazine in place, using snap caps. Be sure to pull the charging handle all the way back and let it slam forward under it's own weight/spring tension (i.e don't ride the charging handle forward).

The adapter fabricator probably has more/better advice, it sounds like you're already in contact with him though, so you might want to share what I've said with him for his opinion.

Edited by Iconis

Check with Renegadebuck to make sure. You most likely need to remove a small amount of additional material from the trunnion, and make sure they are relatively even. Mine had to have a little more work to get the AR mag to latch properly, and I did go very slow to keep from overdoing it. I got mine so the AR mag seats with a light pop from my palm, and almost drops free when the release button is pressed. A little more work would probably make it drop free.

Thanks for the reply.

I have one mag that has cleared itself and functions great. The other GI mag I have fits really tight and I've dropped the bolt on it a few times and it's clearing itself.

The PMags though just dont seem to lock in good enough, a guess it's the notch as opposed to the hole on the other mags. Maybe I should take my dremel and clearance one of the pmags and see if that helps. Or just get some more GI mags.

Thanks for the reply.

I have one mag that has cleared itself and functions great. The other GI mag I have fits really tight and I've dropped the bolt on it a few times and it's clearing itself.

The PMags though just dont seem to lock in good enough, a guess it's the notch as opposed to the hole on the other mags. Maybe I should take my dremel and clearance one of the pmags and see if that helps. Or just get some more GI mags.

You may actually be bending the GI mags a little, form fitting if you will. The composite mags won't bend, and they are good for showing where a little more dremmel work may be needed.

Edited by wpflgun

The pmags drop free when released, one GI mag will drop pretty well and the other is still tight. The pmags are pretty loose once I got the GI mags to seat. When the bolt locks you can see it push the front of the pmag down. Im pretty sure the bolt lug hitting the front right side of the mag is the issue I just don't want to do too much and mess it up.