Experience fitting (AK-Builder) screw plate for trigger guard?

I'm converting a Hungarian SA2000M to take regular double stack mags instead of the proprietary single stack mags for which it was set up. I widened the magwell and am bolting on an AMD65 trigger guard using AK-Builder's screw plate, which goes inside the receiver and has four threaded holes instead of having to use four tiny nuts. The bottom will have button head allen screws that are similar to rivets in appearance.

I have fitted the screw plate so that it fits into the receiver centered and without interfering with the thicker bushing in the right receiver wall for the trigger pin to go through, and I thought I was ready for reassembly (having already painted the receiver), but I see that the plate and the screws that stick up just slightly from it interfere with the free movement of the trigger spring.

It's pretty self-explanatory that I'll have to take it out and file it some more at the rear upper edge and shorten the allen screws a bit, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience fitting one of these. I haven't found any discussions on it from searching, but I was thinking that someone might have put a regular trigger guard/mag catch on their Saiga as part of a conversion, using screws and this plate. I just want to get an idea how thin I'll need to (can) make it, so I don't have to remove and reinstall it and the trigger and spring over and over since I plan to go a little bit at a time so's not to remove too much and still do what I need to do. It's fun to tinker, but I want to be somewhat expedient.

So minor lesson learned here so far, test fit everything before thinking you're done and moving onto the painting stage. I did lots of test fitting, but not all the way to include the trigger and spring as I should have.

http://ak-builder.co...roduct_id=29903

trigger_screw_plate.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the trigger guard screw build on three Saiga 12's so far and they have all been successful. I had to cut the screw plate down to two holes because the S-12 has a two hole trigger guard. I also had to file one side of the plate at an angle so it would fit around the plate that holds the hammer pin on the right side of the reciever. In addition, I used the template from akbuilder to drill all the holes and everything worked out fine. I did have to enlarge the trigger guard holes a little so the button head srews would fit, but that was no big deal. I just worked the drill bit around in a circular motion untill each hole was big enough. Personally, I like the akbuilder screw build better than the rivet build even though the rivets are factory correct. Hope this info will be helpfull mate.

Edited by macaholic