First Saiga 12 Complete (for now)

Just completed my first Saiga 12 build today! I have done a couple of Saiga rifles. I must day I did learn a few things on this build. I learned about annealing and that it works quite well. I leaned that the Tapco retainer doesn't work so well and needs some fitting to work. I learned how to modify the BHO and, having doen that, won't do it again. I think CSS sells one already modified. I haven't fired it yet.. have to wait 'til next week. I need to learn about the gas sysyem and different load types. I am getting better at the BHO spring install... got it the first time on reassembly! Then went through it for practice several more time futzing with the Tapco retainet and BHO. Looks pretty good though, I think. Used Tapco rear folder (like the drop on it for the shotgun with iron sights) and the Tapco handhuard. Used the MD Arms Pistol grip. Oh yeah, cutting the pistol grip nut hole was interesting. Got it, though not as pretty as I would like. Am using a barrel shroud with a muzzle device built on the end. Found it on Ebay. Good quality.

post-37482-0-27615000-1327804059.jpg

post-37482-0-50225200-1327804077.jpg

post-37482-0-73674200-1327804111.jpg

post-37482-0-63686100-1327804155.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice!!!

I have seen that barrel shroud on ebay,

Let us know if it works out.

Here is my experience with that Barrel shroud... after several shots the shroud body separated from the threaded portion (essentially like a thread protector) that screws onto the barrel threads. It began riding forward on the barrel. Because the rear of the shroud is exactly the size of the barrel it was impossible to slide the shroud off forward with the threaded portion still attached. But with the shroud still on, and with nowhere to slide it back out of the way because of the gas block, it was impossible to get at the threaded portion to unscrew it as it was just spinning freely within the shroud body. I ended up having to slide the shroud forward, cut it in half, slide it back, unscrew the threaded portion and slide the shroud off.

I have an e-mail in to the seller giving him the above feedback. We'll see how they react and let you know.

I've never been a fan of shrouds. They look OK, but I lean toward function over form. Boring, I know.

Maybe the seller will give a refund. It doesn't sound like you would want another one after that experience. Glad you didn't get hurt.

• Like 1