Play in trigger: normal?

This is a converted Saiga 12 utilizing the TROMIX drop-in FCG with retaining plate + NO Bolt Hold Open. Removed that during the conversion but did not compensate that space with a washer or anything. But I'm curious is it normal to have some back and forward play in the trigger with the SAFETY ENGAGED? I've taken the dust cover off and inspected it to see what's up and it looks like the safety doesn't have enough material to fully press down on the trigger spring legs and it's allowing some movement. But the interesting thing here is that once the safety is disengaged the trigger is firm. No play/movement without safety, a little play/movement with safety. Strange?

I know the AK is mechanical and doesn't have much cushion (other then a spring in the reset) between the carrier and the trigger finger but while hand cycling I'm noticing some of that energy being transferred into the trigger and felt on the finger. It's not as violent as trigger slap but then again I have yet to shoot this gun. Being that this is my first Saiga conversion I would like to get these issues remedied before even trying to put a round through it.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Gene 5.6

Im not sure why the trigger would feel different with the safety on or off, but I wouldn't be worried about the trigger being able to move a small amount with the safety on. The AK style safety is so designed as to just block the trigger from travelling far enough to fire. There are very few AK's that are so tight that there is zero movement. As long as the gun cannot fore with the safety on, it is doing its job. You can always add material to the safety and file to fit to get a tighter fit, which many people do when a gun IS able to be fired with the safety on.

As far as your trigger-slap like movement, you really would just have to look and see what is causing any abnormal movement. The trigger does have to move to allow the hammer to pass, so that movement would be normal. Again, i probably wouldn't worry about it if the trigger does not move when held back and you pull the bolt carrier back, that would be where the real trigger slap comes from.

Edited by ReverendFranz