Popped my AK cherry today

Well! I can finally say I'm not an AK virgin!

I got out to the range today and finally had a chance to go through some rounds with my converted Saiga. I kept it to no further than 50 yards today as I'm still just getting a feel for the rifle. How DID it feel? A heck of a lot like my SKS.

It feels almost exactly the same with one exception- felt recoil. My Saiga is of course a carbine rifle, while my Yugo SKS is a stock battle rifle with a helluva lot more weight to it. Almost 2x as much. As such the AK recoil is definitely an issue.

Also, the sight picture is slung very low, forcing me to really hunker down. My ear protection bumps the stock, and gets in the way somewhat. Going to use ear plugs next time. I REALLY need a NATO length stock set for sure. I need to get the rear sight a good 2 - 3 inches away from my eyeball. I'm really seriously considering a red dot or optical scope.

I need to work on control. I had two occasions where I bump-fired the weapon for two rounds while it was at shoulder!

The trigger was more sensitive than expected. Much more so than the SKS. There was a moderate amount of take-up with the Tapco G2, but the break was so sensitive that several times it discharged before I expected it to. I think I got it down by the end of the session.

At 25 yards I was pulling almost all shots low left. At 50 yards they were all pulling to the high and low right. God knows where they'd go at 100, but the next chance I get I'm taking my Lead Sled and really going to try and get it dialed in prior to scoping it.

I'm looking forward to playing around with it so it's more comfortable to shoot.

holy smokes !! i never shot the 7.62 so i cant compare but the 5.45 is a pussycat to shoot. sounds like your stock is too short bringing your face into receiver . maybe a nato stock with a buttpad or adjustable one will help. the nato is i think 1.25 " longer and the pad is 1 inch.that should get it right. i have the dragunov style saiga stock and im waiting on a 1" buttpad (lol) to lengthen my pull a bit. your face up too close is affecting the accuracy as your flinching. get that commie rifle away from your face a bit.