How to fix a metal galil mag pinched by a vise

In the process of adding weld material to the front and rear latch of a metal Galil mag and grinding, I managed to squish the mag at some point with the vise. Now that the mag is complete, I can load 4 rounds when the round closest to the follower binds lengthwise in the mag.

Is there a tool and or trick to expand the inner lengthwise dimension about 3/100"? Searching google for "DISC BRAKE PISTON CALIPER PAD SPREADER" shows a tool that may work. Is there another took you can think of? Do I heat the mag with a propane torch first? --Thanks

Put a piece of scrap steel that is something like 1/2'X2' X long enough to fit in the vice and slide the mag over. Hold the mag with the dent tight on the steel and hammer NEXT to the dent.

• Like 2

There is no noticeable dent as I was unaware until I loaded the mag for the first time. Thanks the the above replys as your ideas are hopefully leading me to a solution. I will try to make a sheet metal follower and force it through the mag opening up the area where it binds. Possible heating the mag as I go.

You can also bounce dents out by supporting the area you want to come out very solidly with an anvil and smacking the area directly. It is counter intuitive, but it does work. I've beat a lot of propellers back into shape that way.

Success! I did what GOB suggested.

I made a rectangular peg out of 2/10" metal. Heated up the area of the mag that I wanted to pull out then used the peg locked in the vise and light strikes with a rubber mallet.

So I found a pic that probably work best at the beginning of this thread but here it is:

post-36306-0-46483500-1330716470_thumb.jpg

The top mag is unmodified and the white arrows is where the depression was. Basically the width of a vise.

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking tool at the beginning and your ideas moved me in a better direction.

Edited by beanstock