Hammer pin during ressambly help

I have installed the single hook Tapco g2 trigger on my conversion, but I am having one problem. The bolt hold lever inside the assembly is somehow stopping the hammer pin from completely going through the receiver. When I push the pin in through everything. The pin just doesn't quite make it all the way out the other side (1-2 mm at most...) so I am unable to install the retaining plate. If I push the pin in without going through the bolt hold lever the pin sets fine and the retaining plate can fit. What gives? I have been working on this problem for a good while, and although I know bypassing the bolt hold lever is a viable option, I really would like it to fit through.

EDIT: I did some more testing, and the pin will work with the hammer removed and going through the bolt hold level. It will also work with the bolt hold lever removed and only going through the hammer. The only time I get this issue is when I try going through both.

Edited by DiminishTX

Try these suggestions:

1 Insert the pin through the opposite side first and see if it makes a difference

2. Make sure, if #1 does not work, that when you are inserting the pin that the bolt hold open plate is not shifiting in position, meaning that the hole through the base of the hammer and the hole through the bolt hold open plate perfectly line up, if they do not, the bolt hold open plate will put torque on the pin and retard its forward motion.

3. Reverse the pin with the one that goes through the trigger assembly, and see if you have the same problem with that pin

Also, make sure that the hammer is not in backward, otherwise you will not be able to lock the pin properly

The pin may be hanging up on the groove that the retainer plate goes in, preventing it from going all the way in. You can try using a cheater pin or a punch the same size as the axis pin coming in from the other side of the receiver to try and guide the axis pin all the way. Sometimes wiggling the hammer a little on the pin insertion side may help. Also, make sure the axis pin is going through the BHO lever. Beveling the inside half of the hole in the BHO slightly may also help guide the pin in all the way. Edit: I just read the above post--good info also.

Inserting from the opposite side did not really help anything.

I also did switch pins, and same thing happens...

I am starting to think that it is a torque issue with spring and the pin...but I have tried so many times to do it right. It never quite makes it fully into the other side.

I don't think the hammer is backwards, because it does test fires fine, and the hammer has place for the head of the pin to rest into, having it backwards would make the pin stick out even worse.

I don't think it has anything to do with the hammer spring either, because it does the same thing with it on or off.

Here is an image to see how the pin isn't going all the way through the receiver.

post-40407-0-16863800-1331333720_thumb.jpg

post-40407-0-99937400-1331333721_thumb.jpg

Loop you a thing fishing line, or bread tie wire (strip the plastic coating off) through the BHO spring and down through the slot of the receiver. then you can hold the spring down in place and have just enough room to bush the pin through the sping loop and the pin through the receiver.Once it's in place, install your sheperds crook or retaining plate and then wiggle your wire out of the slot. Sometimes this is easier from above(inside the receiver) as opposed to below. Good luck

So I took off the hammer spring and to BHO spring from the trigger assembly to see if I could insert it without any tension. Still a no go. I bought this Saiga about 8 years ago. Would that have anything to do with buying a new tapco g2 trigger? They didn't change any internal designs did they?

use some emmery cloth, or 120 grit sand paper and just lightly (by hand only) sand your axis pin, see if that helps with the resistance. Sounds like you've got somethign causing an issue. Another thing to look at might be your hammer and the hole in your bolt hold open, make sure there aren't any dings on them that might have rolled the edge on their inside diameter causeing a hang point

Watch the CSS trigger installation video. At about the halfway mark, Greg shows how to do it the easy way. A little trick is to not center the trigger on the assembly sleeve. Have it off centered a little to the left, and gently lift the trigger with your finger as you slide the retainer pin in place. Its all in the video.

I do appreciate all the help guys, I honestly don't know what else to try. I have been tearing this thing apart trying to get it installed correctly. Last resort would be to forego the BHO lever sad.png

EDIT: I think I should clarify that I'm not having trouble getting the BHO spring inserted on the trigger pin. I am having trouble with the hammer pin that runs through the hammer and BHO lever. It does not fully settle in the slot and thus I can not get the retaining plate in due to the hammer pin not being fully inserted into the receiver.

Edited by DiminishTX

I do appreciate all the help guys, I honestly don't know what else to try. I have been tearing this thing apart trying to get it installed correctly. Last resort would be to forego the BHO lever sad.png

EDIT: I think I should clarify that I'm not having trouble getting the BHO spring inserted on the trigger pin. I am having trouble with the hammer pin that runs through the hammer and BHO lever. It does not fully settle in the slot and thus I can not get the retaining plate in due to the hammer pin not being fully inserted into the receiver.

Can you install it up to the point where the problem is occuring then take a picture of inside the receiver, better illustrating to us exactly whats happening. I think I understand pretty well, but a picture is worth a 1000 words, ya know.

Did you modify the hammer enough ? You may need to shave a little more off the right side to make room for the BHO. Tapcos need about .060 removed.

I did not know I needed to modify the hammer at all. I'm thinking this will have been the cause for all the frustration. So This is shaved off the side that is touching the BHO I'm assuming. I really thought I might have to do that out of necessity, but I did not know this was a common thing...*facepalm*

Did you modify the hammer enough ? You may need to shave a little more off the right side to make room for the BHO. Tapcos need about .060 removed.

I did not know I needed to modify the hammer at all. I'm thinking this will have been the cause for all the frustration. So This is shaved off the side that is touching the BHO I'm assuming. I really thought I might have to do that out of necessity, but I did not know this was a common thing...*facepalm*

Compare the width of the factory hammer against the Tapco and you will have an ideal how much material needs to be removed. Remove material from the right side only.

• Like 1

Excellent...Off I go. I'll be back with results.

EDIT: Alright, well it worked flawlessly. I could have taken just a tad bit more off to make it the exact size of the original hammer, but the retainer plate holds fine and it test fires good as well.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by DiminishTX