308 conversion done and test fired

After a long while, I got my Saigas 308 rifle converted to use the side folder, saw grip, and the Galil style hand guard from Tapco. I also used their G2 trigger hammer and disconnector(?). The folder was no problem and the metal retainer for the hand guard was ground using a dremel tool. The hammer I had to modify just a little filing the front part of the hammer so that it would clear the cross rivet. I also had to make it a little narrower so that the hammer pin could push in fully so that the retaining spring would fit into the groove. The spring for the bolt lock back was a b*** to put back in. The trigger pull was really gritty but it cleaned ug okay with a liitle stoning.- Not much just tasking off the burrs.

Went up to the range today and test fired the rifle. I used RA 61 ball ammo. I put 1 rd in the mag and fire it off hand. Boy was that thing loud! I could see a big flash too. It was 2:30 in the afternoon. A club member who was next to me said the fireball was over a foot long. The rifle pushed back hard. My face stung from the side folder. The handguard retainer pushed forward and I had to retighten it. I tried 2 rds in the mag and then 3,5 and then 8. No doubling or going full auto. Thats good. Brass flew 15ft to the right at 1 o'clock.

After that, I think am going to go back to the factory handguard. I didn't like how the Gaili style handguard looked or felt on the rifle. The side folder is neat but I might switch to a US fixed stock from K Var so I would be able to shoot it more comfortably. I'll need to look into figuring out a way to put a flash hider or a comp on. Any suggestions on that?