Swapping Mag Catches

I have a 7.62X39 and a 5.56X45 converted Saigas. The Galil (the real ones, not the Tapco knock-offs!) mags that I use in the 5.56 wobble in their rifle. The Bulbarian mags for the 7.62 simply won't lock (obviously) into their rifle. HOWEVER, the Bulgy mags snap perfectly into the 5.56 and the Galil mags snap perfectly into the 5.56.

So...Can I simply swap mag catches between my two Saigas & make everything fit? OR!!! Are their problems with this swap that I am not seeing? Also, if the swap would work, what parts should I have on hand before I begin and how easy/difficult is the task?

Thanks in advance.

Old SF MJT

Edited by Old SF MJT
  • 3 weeks later...

I would think you'd be fine to switch mag catches. You'll need to find a couple pins/rivets for the install though, since you'll have to drill out the exhisting ones to get the mag catch out. If your saiga mag catches are filed down and you feel that either is filed too much and out of spec, it's pretty easy to find new condition mag catches as well. I got one from Kvar when I did my conversion.

• 4 weeks later...

sf,

install one of these mag catches and hand file it to fit your mags also you,ll pickup the 1 finger mag relase capability

bob ex commo CO C 3RD BTN 11TH SFGA

DONT KNOW WHY THE LINE WAS IN MY LAST POST ??????? GO FIGURE SORRY

Edited by Wolverine
Non-vendor link removed