Saiga IZ137 .308 Start of build

Hey Saiga 308 people. I am starting my 308 build and am open to all suggestions and advice.

Here is a pic of it tore down to barrel and receiver.

I already removed the fire control group and moved it forward then dry fitted the G2 FCG. (CSS)

Replaced the main spring with a JT Main Power spring. (CSS)

Replaced the retaining spring with a retaining plate. (CSS)

Now check this. I contacted CNC Warrior and whined about the lack of Saiga .308 mods and parts. The owner said he's going to make new muzzle brakes,

pins, muzzle caps for M17x1 threads as well as a host of other parts! Unbelievable person to do that. Give him 2-3 weeks for some smaller items and 6-7 weeks

for the muzzle brakes and hiders. I asked which muzzle devices was he thinking of and they asked me what do i want?!? Hats off to them. I will list some that we

talked about:

AK Knight brake

VZ58 Muzzle brake

Type 74 brake

Derita demon Flash hider

Saiga flame

Those are just the ones we talked about so may be others. Just thought people may be interested.

So i am putting off the threading of my Saiga until after i see what will be available.

Any input on duracoat enamel here? I would like something a LOT more durable than the 1 coat black primer lol they ship it with. Does that DE-value a fire-arm

with bad paint?

I realize any mods can DE-value a firearm but i did not cut off the tang and could re-assemble this rifle back to import state.

Is the Dura heat enamel as good as they claim as far as barrel heat is concerned?

I know this is a lot of questions but there seem to be some fine builders on this site and i dont want to make to many mistakes my 1st build.

Is the barrel shroud that needs to be removed to thread the barrel very thin? It seems a lot thinner than the pictures of ak threading posts i read.

Are there any rear dust covers with rails attached specifically for the IZ 137?

Is there a better gas tube for the IZ137? or reason other than 922r to change it?

Ok thats it for now.

Thanks for all and any input, especially the..ahem.. non hypotheses ones032.gif

post-40970-0-95011800-1334595582_thumb.jpg

Is there a better gas tube for the IZ137? or reason other than 922r to change it

The gas tube is not a countable 922r part.

The only one worth considering is the TWS. I have heard some have had issues with the S308 specific parts. I got one before they made those and simply put a buffer in.

Edited by Zambidis
Is there a better gas tube for the IZ137? or reason other than 922r to change it

The only one worth considering is the TWS. I have heard some have had issues with the S308 specific parts. I got one before they made those and simply put a buffer in.

Nice thanx Zambidis cool.png

Nice thanx Zambidis cool.png

The Krebs custom rail is nice too, but it is pricey (~$300) and comes with the rear sight. The TWS is a pretty good option at less than 1/2 the price. And I painted my bare metal with engine paint enamel from Wally World. All you need to do beforehand is rough up the bare spot with low grit sand paper and it blends in pretty well. And you won't de-value your firearm by any means by converting it and re-finishing it, unless you really screw it up to where the rifle no longer functions - but the S308 is the easiest to convert (best for noobs - LOL). You will raise the value of your Saiga by converting it - because the next guy who buys it won't have too (if you ever sell it). And it seems the Saiga 308 is drying up and the base price is ~$200 more than last year, so you have a great investment piece there! Send your front sight to Dinzag Arms - he'll reprofile it for you so you can move it back on the bbl for threading - he's a great guy to work with and the TA time is short. Here is the link:

http://dinzagarms.com/saiga_308/308fsb.html