Ok, Converting to high cap 308

Ok, its real easy if you use a high cap ak mag in a 7.62x39 saiga, It needs to be made us made with compliance parts. But if you just fit some high cap mag to your .308 saiga (converted m-14 or such, and do no mods to the gun) is it the same? I imagine if you ask atf you might get mixed anwsers. Just wondering if its more like a preban or sporting ak(thumbhole chinese and egyptians and such) that the mag can go into the gun. Just thought I would quary the forum on this one.

Edited by okie shooter

I figure it's what state your in and if that state still has the ban. The ban

is still in effect in New York so if I if I convert a 20rd mag to fit my

Saiga I'm in deep $hit. If someone sends me a post ban mag that holds more than 10rds, it's still not legal for me to have in my gun.

I'm no lawyer so don't take my 2cents as fact, it's just the way I understand it.

Mike.

If you change the BATFE approved configuation of the imported weapon including magazine make or capacity 922r applies. By using a (slightly modified) M14 mag which will be either US made GI issue or a knock off from Taiwan or China with the stock Saiga .308 you may not have more than 10 foreign parts on your rifle which means you would need to complete the conversion.

Then there is the question of the BATFE approval of the Saiga as a sporting arm. If you take a large capacity military magazine (LCMM) and alter it for use in the Saiga it may no longer be viewed as for sporting purpose as defined by the Agency.

No conversion of S .308 + LCMM = bad juju. :rolleyes:

Solution = convert imported Russian Saiaga to US rifle = good juju. :lolol: