When I installed mine I used a big, heavy blow hammer. I used a brass hammer to take off the old FSB but I didn't want to risk beating up my new $90 part. Of course the stock was removed. I made a little wooden stool at a height low enough so the rear of the receiver could rest on the stool, get a good amount of leverage on it, and then wack the snot out of it. I used RemOil to lube it. That's my cheap, shop-press-less way to do it. Hope this helps.

If you can get it off, lightly polish the barrel and the inside of the FSB with crocus cloth or 600 or higher emery cloth.

Heat the FSB in the oven to 250F. If you have a chest freezer put the barrel in there overnight. If not put the muzzle in a cup of crushed ice and alcohol for 20 min. or so. It should then go together easy.

• Like 3

If you can get it off, lightly polish the barrel and the inside of the FSB with crocus cloth or 600 or higher emery cloth.

Heat the FSB in the oven to 250F. If you have a chest freezer put the barrel in there overnight. If not put the muzzle in a cup of crushed ice and alcohol for 20 min. or so. It should then go together easy.

That's a great, much more gentle, method.

Yes sir. I just removed mine and reinstalled it just to see how well this would work... I had a large wood block. An 8x10 about a foot long. I rest the tang end on that. Then I whacked it a few times with a 6x6. No metal was damaged of course. The finish either. It seated with only three whacks. I noticed in your picture that you had the barrel in the vice. I would remove it. Every time I hold something in the vice like that it simply slips out. I'm afraid to cinch it down as tight as needed. I wouldn't want to damage my barrel. Good luck.

Yup polish the journals and use oil or anti-seize when installing. Did my gas block and sight block this way using only a plastic dead blow hammer and some muscle. Also, polishing the journal makes position adjustment easier when preparing to pin.

• Like 1

Sounds like good advice for all of us who don't own a hydrolic press.

Yup polish the journals and use oil or anti-seize when installing. Did my gas block and sight block this way using only a plastic dead blow hammer and some muscle. Also, polishing the journal makes position adjustment easier when preparing to pin.

I super stress this. I learned when I modernized my wife's SKS, those milling marks really do add up to quite a bit of metal. It makes me wonder, "Are they there on purpose to add 'grip' to the barrel?"

You don't need much, you are not trying to remove the machine marks on the metal, just the sharp high points.

I want to stress that you only need to lightly polish the surface.. Do not remove material.

The machine marks are there because the finer the finish, the more time it takes and expensive it becomes.

Manufacturing cost is directly related to the time parts take to machine, and...

"perfection is the enemy of the good enough"

It "looks" straight, you can shoot it.

You had to press it on, it should stay on for a few rounds, just keep an eye on it.

Make sure it dont walk off.

I'm not sure what kind of muzzle device you have but I would also not install it just to be safe. I would hate for all that diverted gas to blow off your hard work.

If you want to shoot it before pinning, use a couple drops of green locktite. This 'wicks' in to assembled parts. Just be careful it can make a mess if you use too much - and do it outside, that stuff STINKS!

FYI an easy way to get the FSB centered is to place a straightedge against the RSB, one that is long enough to reach the FSB. Using a caliper, measure the space between the FSB and the straightedge on one side, then measure at the same location on the opposite side. Adjust FSB position as needed until both sides measure equally. The FSB is now centered.

• Like 1