What Upgrade Next?

Hey guys,

I just acquired a Saiga 12 this afternoon and this is my first time visiting this forum. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet but it sure is a beautiful firearm.

Now, I'm the kind of guy who likes to put a little bit of customization into his firearms. The problem is this thing looks pretty tricked out. From what I can tell it has:

Magpul CTR Collapsible stock

Hogue Grip

ProMag 20 round Drum and 10 Round Magazine

Fab Defense T-Pod forward grip

Poly-Choke Deluxe

Some sort of gas regulator I can't Identify

And fortunately (or unfortunately) the bolt and gas rod has been polished.

So here I am, wondering what sort of upgrades you guys perform on your Saigas that hasn't been done to this beauty. Surely there must be something?

I thank you for your help and hope to become a contributing member of this community - as soon as I learn a little more about this firearm sitting on the floor next to me.

post-42198-0-48350400-1336016130_thumb.jpg

There are many upgrade options out there, it all depends on what you are personally looking for. Spend some time searching the site and you will find a wealth of information. Welcome to the addiction.

Nice looking saiga! I'd take off that bipod first if it were me, but you may have some reason you want it there. I'd say... go out and shoot the bloody shit out of it before you decide to start modding and customizing it. I think that having a reliable firearm is much more important than having a tricked out firearm. If it fires well and reliably, fire it some more and see how it feels. You may decide the the length of pull isn't comfortable for you, or that you don't like something about the gun and how it feels. Since you didn't put the parts on the gun, you have no way of knowing if you even like someone else's taste until you take it out for a test ride.

• Like 2

Shoot it for a while before you buy anything. More mags are always nice. I like the SGM 12 shot, but many people do not like the length. 8 and 10 shot mags are nice, and some sort of rig to carry the magazines is good if you want to compete. a 5 shot mag and a plug is good if you want to hunt with it.

An autoplug is nice, but not needed.

Really, it looks like you have everything you need, so the only reason to buy something else is that it is falling short of your expectations in some way.

Run some winchester bulk ammo through it to see if it will run, and whether or not it needs gas work. After that buy federal for cheap shooting, and real ammo for defense.

• Like 2

I agree about the bi-pod, never been a big fan. However, this one seems to fold up into a forward pistol grip, which seems to be the only way I can hold the thing when the Drum Mag is on. In any case I completely agree, I'll put plenty of rounds through it before deciding what's next, just kind of curious about what's avaliable or if there is anything obvious I'm missing.

Also, anything I should be aware about before taking it to the range tomorrow. I've fired plenty of AK's but I'm curious if the Saiga has a quirks.

Do you understand how to adjust the gas regulator? You basically want it to be on the highest number (smallest gas opening/ least gas) that your load will cycle reliably. Screw it all the way in and back out to the correct setting. There is no harm in having the gas shut off and failing to kick out a shell. If that happens, just bump up to the next notch and try again.

Properly running, the empty should eject from 4' to maybe 10'

Bring a variety of ammo, with at least some buckshot, so that if it doesn't like wimpy ammo, your trip to the range won't be a complete frustration.

Based on the parts and the bolt polish, I would expect that it already runs weak ammo just fine.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1