hey guys. i converted my saiga which was my first weapon system since i was a kid. i now have 8 rifles, pistols now. I am wanting to build a ak 74 or 47 not sure which one yet. i have about 8000 rounds for the 7.62. so im debating on which one to do. I have been looking into some kits but i dont have a press for the rivets and barrel... is it super hard to build one from parts? i have typical tools and a place to do it but i dont have a press. should i just buy a saiga and convert it>? or build from parts?

People have built kits with hand tools but it's labor intensive and you run the risk of ruining a kit. Screw kits are an option that some have taken, but generally frowned upon as the rifle can literally beat itself apart. To build a kit properly you really should have a press and jigs.

Buy a completed rifle or do a conversion on a Saiga.

A press is only 150 dollars online.

I would recommend getting a kit, even if just to fuck around and get to know an actual AKM (Saigas are different). Even if you dont intend on building it after all.

If you get an AK-builder kit + a NodakSpud receiver, then it will be easy as pie. All you would need to do is press out the barrel from the trunnion, put the trunnion into a jig that holds it, put the receiver on it, drill through, then rivet and reassemble. Then you go show off your new AK to your pals.

• Like 1

I have a Chinese RPK kit I've been wanting to build, but finding the correct receiver has been a problem. And then building it (as mentioned) might be more than I want to deal with.

I may find a company that builds them and send it off and let them to the work. Then again, if it costs as much as buying one already built, I may scrap the idea and do something else.