Flat Trunnion Bullet Guide

Looking at the flat trunnion bullet guides, it would appear that they're just a square of flat steel with a bit of a lip at the forward end to slip under the barrel. Is this correct? If so, is there any reason I shouldn't just cut a little piece of steel the right size and install that? What thickness are they?

Some people reportedly did just that...or close. By cutting/disecting a piece of pipe that had a bit of curvature, and drilled/tapped that in-place. Seems like a lot of work to make one when you can buy this for $13-$25...depending if you need the drill bits and such. A Youtube search on how the kit pieces are put in can give you a guide as to how thick it is..... a lot of guys hold this piece in their hands and turn it around a lot in these video clips...should give us a good clue.

Right, but I have a flat trunnion, so pipe doesn't do me any good. I need to know how thick of plate steel to use (metric, fractional or decimal inches, or gauge would all work) to cut the guide from. Seeing it from the side without measurements doesn't do much good.

$20 is an hour's labor for me, or slightly more than. The hardest part of this will be drilling and tapping the trunnion block itself, which I'd have to do anyway, just cutting a flat square of metal to the right size is like 5 minutes' work with a cutting wheel. Maybe 10 if I take it really slow which I won't since if I screw up it's just cheap sheet steel and I can make another one just as quick. Drilling a hole in it for a screw another 2 minutes. Seems pretty economical to me.

Edited by talaananthes

Topside of the bullet guide needs to be slightly curved to guide the bullet toward the "center" of the barrel.....bottom side needs to be flat for a flat-trunion gun ( with a "step" for a portion to slip under the barrel). The disected pipe nipple approach works better for a curved-trunion gun...agreed.

BG also overhangs the "rear" of the trunion a bit....the reason why the stock Saiga mags need to be "cut down" a bit for clearance to fit.

See my post #19 within this thread--->

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/75310-why-is-modification-for-ak-47-magazines-needed/

Edited by IPSC45