Show & Tell - My First Build - and a bonus range report.

Well this is 4 days in a row I've tried to post and somehow I keep losing it. Not surprising though. Computor illiterate. I've been a member since last August and bought my first Saiga in May of 2011. I have spent alot of time reading and digging into all the info that is here in the forum. Ya almost don't have to ask any questions if you look hard enough for the answers. So......why did it take me so frakin long to finish my s12? Well.....I had to get rid of a left wing, Obama lovin, anti-gun,false police report filing, proveable perjurious, liberal wife, fight her for custody and throw the Grim Reaper out of my house when he came to collect. I let her leave with her ass intact and a decree that didnt allow her any claim to my property, possessions, or house and she is supposed to pay me support. (hasn't happened yet). Plus, with raising a 4 y/o I wasn't in a hurry. I bought my S12 second hand but it hadn't been fired much at all. I had one of the infamous "vodka specials". I didn't bother to even fire it and just dove into the conversion. Man, I could write a book but I'll just highlight what I did and if anyone has questions of any kind I will gladly give you an indepth answer if you PM me. I think that is a fair deal. I'll tell you up front that I am the quentisential smart ass, so take my insults with a grain of salt. The first thing I did was remove the gas block to check the size of the barrel ports. There were 3 ports and 2 were @ .061 and the other was .067. I resized these to factory specs of .093. Now to reinstall the gas block I figured there had to be a better way than just beating it into place. I put the gas block into the oven @ 250 for 30 min and wrapped the barrel with reuseable ice paks. The block almost jumped back into position. Then I discovered that the front 2 ports were partially covered by the block. Off it came again. I tried a different approach to opening the port in the gas block. Instead of using the " D" method which would have intruded into the machined groove inside the gas block, I opened the port from the barrel side. I ground a taper into the hole in the block and massaged it with fine stone. When I reinstalled it there were no more blockages of the gas ports. At this point I did all of the polishing of rails and radiuses, the bottom of the bolt carrier and any areas that created friction in the action. I reshaped and polished the bottom of the feed ramp. If the post from JTE about it being unneccessary to perform that mod had been made earlier I would have forgone that particular step. I decided it was good enough when I could slowly close the bolt and it would close all the way with tension from the spring only and no lubrication. I can only post so many pics w/each entry so now I'll start part 2. post-35679-0-78645700-1337982696_thumb.jpgpost-35679-0-84434100-1337982750_thumb.jpgpost-35679-0-15492900-1337982797_thumb.jpgpost-35679-0-18087500-1337982846_thumb.jpgpost-35679-0-15978400-1337982886_thumb.jpgpost-35679-0-41998800-1337982945_thumb.jpgpost-35679-0-85789900-1337982993_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

>> I let her leave with her ass intact and a decree that didnt allow her any claim to my property, possessions, or house and she is supposed to pay me support. (hasn't happened yet).

Nice job on the gun and the divorce decree!

Got the number for your attorney handy? super_man.gifhaha.gif