Does anyone know of any companies that make a quick detach stock for the AK family of rifles? Like say, to slip into a backpack without having to remove the screws or re-install them?

I came up with a crappy Paint version of what MIGHT be a simple modification for a standard wood stock.

The black outline is the forward section of the stock that goes into the receiver. The blue would be some type of pins that would replace the screws, that would be able to just be pressed down into the stock for removal. The red would be some type of spring that would keep upward tension on the pins. there wouldn't really be any big issue on the stock rattling out because shooting it pretty much keeps the stock in anyway.

Comments/criticism/ideas?

QDstock.png

You should be a graphic designer those those paint skills haha.gif

Just messin' with ya. That is an interesting idea, and if it doesn't require some sort of ATF BS, you may have a cool invention on your hands.

The easy way to do that would be to use the same hardware as a folder, but design a slide together rail type connection in place of the hinge. Either that, or just do a hinge assembly that pops apart easily.

Are QD stocks legal without any extra ATF paperwork?

that's a good question

You should be a graphic designer those those paint skills haha.gif

... I think I'll quit my job today and start doing it... do I find customers by showing them my work?

As long as the OAL is over 26" with the stock detached, you're good to go. On a standard AKM with a 16" barrel and an intact fixed-stock trunnion, the OAL is about 26.5" with the stock removed. As long as you don't cut the tang, you should be good to go.

• Like 2