Failure to Feed

I bought a Saiga .410 last weekend and got a chance to take it out for the first time today.

It wouldn't feed worth a darned. Just about every immaginable place for it to get hung up got hung up.

I have no idea where to look for the problem either. Sometimes it would fail to strip a round, sometimes it wouldn't go into battery properly, just a whole mess of ugliness.

FWIW, I was using the factory 4rnd magazine with it and tried both Remmington and Winchester slug loads with it. Nothing exotic at all.

Any suggestions?

get out a tape measure, if your rounds arent 2 3/4 or greater on a tape than they wont feed, it doesnt matter what it says on the shell box either. try the breneke 3 inch rotweilers, for birdshot i use the remington 3 inch express shotshells #4 is my favorite for tearing up wabbits. mine feeds flawlessly on either gas setting as long as i use long enough shells.

problem is 2 3/4 or 3 inch on the mag means prefire and most manufacturers measure shells post fire, remington shells marked 2 3/4 on the packaging are only 2.5 on a tape and wont feed, 3 inch magnum brenekes are only 2 3/4 pre fire but they work fine. i plan on hitting the gun show next weekend and picking up a case of the saiga slugs for mine.

once you figure out what it likes, and it dont have to be exotic, youlle love the gun.

lots of peeps complain about the finicky .410 saigas but i have a .410 pump that is picky as far as brand of ammo also.

I have the Saiga 2-1/2" magazine that I ordered from EAA and can't get Winchester or Remington 2-1/2" slugs to feed reliably with it. There is no way they will work out of a 3" magazine.

Winchester,Remington,and Federal 3" shotshells function 100%. As does the Barnaul slugs and shotshells.

966RUSS4103_lg.jpg

The older imported Brenneke 73mm/2-7/8" slugs will not function in a Saiga. So don't waste your money buying the ones in the pic below. Get the newer imported Brenneke 3" slugs. Check this link for a pic of them.

Brenneke 3" 410 slugs

966Rottwiel_410_slugs-med.JPG

i bought mine in november at a gunshow, it has 2 gas settings, i dunno if thats a new thing or not.

2 1/2 shells of any kind will not go thru the action on mine. you shoulda seen the guy at the baitshop when i pulled out a ruler and started opening boxes of shells :rolleyes: , he was like umm...scuse me sir? can i help you?LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Bone,

Having 2 gas settings on the Saiga .410 must, indeed, be a relatively new thing. Gosh, I guess I've had mine for about 2 years. Got it from Kieslers. It may have been amoung the last of the single gas setting .410's?

I still am really impressed by my Saiga. Just wish it had a bigger mag -- even a 5-rd mag would be an improvement. When we get out from under a bunch of medical bills I want to get me one of those 16.3" barreled Saiga 7.62x39 carbine.

The 8-rd mag someone on this list cobbled together -- it looked good (nice workmanship) and apparently worked just as well as it looked. I'd try doing that conversion but I am amoung the fabled mechanically challenged. I used to be very good at military small arms maintenance (US, German, French, Brit, and Russian small arms) but we didn't actually modify anything -- just trouble-shot the weapons, identified the cause of any malfunction and replaced parts accordingly.

Edited by Aethelbert
It sure is easier to locate the smaller length 410 shells than it is the 3".  Can anyone see what goes wrong with getting the shorter ones to feed? Possible fix?

NedPepper --

According to the info on Varleri Shilin's Gun Club (a gold mine of Saiga info there) when someone buys a Saiga .410 _in Russia_ it comes with two mags -- one for 3" shells and the other for the shorter ones. They say there that using the 3" mag for the shorter shells will cause problems. Mine came only with the 3" mag, as I have heard all the other ones sold here in the US did, too.

You should be able to modify a 3" mag by shortening the follower 1/4" and putting a spacer at the back end of the mag. In theory, that should do it. Shorter shells should now work but not the 3".

I'll stick with 3" shells.

Edited by Aethelbert