Couldn't really fit this under a specific caliber, because it could pertain to all the Saiga rifles.

When I was first shooting my Arsenal Saiga SGL-21, I couldn't get it to stop shooting left of center. Elevation was spot-on for the 25 yd work-in, but always went left, no matter what I did. I actually cranked the sight so far left once the pin was against the ear.

P1010881-1.jpg

Well, next trip a LEO instructor was in the lane next to me, heard me dropping a lot of F-bombs, and took a look at the rifle. The rear sight was high on the right side. He slapped a small level on it, told me to sight with the level, and I got this with my last 5 rounds at 50 yards, sight in the battle position.

Last5rounds.jpg

Much better. I'd call that one deceased. The red center is 1.25" across for reference, and first shot is next to the left "9". I walked it over as I shot. I called the local smith, and he said it could be the rear trunnion or the rear leaf itself. Took it in, and he found out it was the leaf. He was backlogged, so I figured I'd fool with it later. Next range trip, I simply leveled the front sight ears on the target and every shot went where I was aiming.

Well, today I got bored, and popped the sight. I cracked out the dial caliper, and the results were(looking from the rear of the rifle):

Right side pin: .110"

Left side pin: .115"

Doesn't look like much, but enough of a deviation to throw long range shots off. With the rear leaf level, the laser of a bore sight was off center almost 1" at 30 yds(my back yard from fence to fence). Out came a small needle file, and I worked the .005" off slowly, and then did the V-notch mod. Now, the rear leaf is too close to call with the laser bore sight. The V-notch also makes target acquisition much easier with irons compared to the square notch. My eye naturally wants to center the post in the V, much like the peep on my AR. I have a range trip planned for tomorrow with Robrez, so I'll be finishing my zero on the sights and the red dot and hope to have some better results.

I had a double-whammy. My RSB was rotated 1/32" to the right AND my sight leaf was off-center.

Vodka jokes aside, alittle filing on the leaf pivot-tabs centered it up. I just need to take it to the range now and sight it in.

BTW, when I swapped the FSB I used the RSB as a reference for clocking it, so it too is now 1/32" off. I was going to correct it, but I decided it was best that they were both in-line with each other.

This Saiga (7.62x39) wears a side-folding Tantal stock so long distance shooting was not it's intended purpose anyway.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Lucky you had a shooter next to you to catch your F bombs. Not many cops know that kind of stuff. A russian would just hit it with a hammer to square it up, but I guess a gunsmith would be a good thing if you dont want to mess with it. :)

Never heard of the saigas all messed up like that, but do remember having to sift through hundreds of romanian G rifles before I found one that wasn't all 8 up.