After many days of research I finally got my Saiga12 finished; and I must say Thank You to all the contributing forum members and the advice they rendered.

S12 info:

3 Hole RAAC

Tapco Trigger conversion

Paulys Polished glass bolt

MD vplug

Surefire Magazine

I used nearly 100 rounds of 00 Buck to break things in. With the vplug I was sure to start with the lowest factory recommended setting and increase the gas from there. Used both factory 5 rd and Surefire mags.

Lellier & Bellot 00 Buck 2 3/4: vplug bottemed out then set to 2 - failed to reset hammer...adjusted vplug to 3...shot a few and FTE... finally set vplug to 5 - shot 50 rounds flawless.

Federal 00 Buck 2 3/4: Shot 10 rounds without fail on setting 5

Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck 2 3/4 1600fps: Shot 30 rounds without fail on setting 4

Remington Slug: setting 2 - failed to reset hammer...setting 3 - FTE...setting 4 - success!

3" HV Winchester Steel Shot: Shot 50 rounds without fail on setting 4, all other settings FTE.

Remington 2 3/4" 1290fps Sport Load: ($6.00 a box) Shot 50 rounds flawless on setting 5... surely most fun for the money!

I am little confused why the first two brands of 2 3/4 00 buck wouldn't run on setting 2-4 as recommended by manufacter. Perhaps its because its a 3 hole.

Overall im impressed with S12, it was worth all the time, headache, money and patience.

Now I have a sore shoulder. biggrin.png

Edited by Minerva

I got Remington sluggers and 2.75" Remington "value pack 00BK" to go on setting #3. Also an untouched 3 port gun. I was using CSS's Puck however. Also polished and reprofiled tapco internals. (Done by me not Pauly)

The 1800fps high velocity Remington slugs would go on #2. Almost #1.

Winchester super target 1300fps #7.5 would almost go on setting #4. So close.

Federal target goes on #5. You can hold the gun with one hand out stretched, sideways, from the hip, upside down... or simply as fast as you possibly can fire it.

The Vplug is a game changer for the saiga 12.

I'm really confused that target loads go on #5 for you if it takes setting #4 or #5 for 00BK. It almost doesn't make sense to me? You'd think the high brass would go on a lower setting for you if the target goes reliably on #5. Seems odd to me that if it takes #5 to get 00BK to go. That target loads would go at all for you. Or there is a really large jump in gas from #4 to #5 on the vplug. And your gun is in the middle.

I have a RJF RTS-ZK-JDM. It has a 3-port barrel(0.80 gauge loose, 0.090 won't go in the ports) and the factory puck. Had Pauly's Glass bolt and trigger job done.

The following ammo cycles fine on the factory 1 or 1(-) on the MD Vplug settings:

Federal PFC157- 3" 00 buck

Federal PFC154- 2-3/4" 00 buck

Winchester Super X- 3" #1 buck

Winchester Super X- 2-3/4" #1 buck

I have some Federal LE132 2-3/4" 00 buck (1140fps) that I had to back out to 5(+) on the MD Vplug to get it to cycle.

As far as light loads go , my JDM doesn't like 1200fps 1-1/8oz loads (WW Super Target) right now, but it will shoot 1250fps WW Super Handicap 1-1/8oz loads. These would be on factory plug 2 setting or 5(+) on the MD Vplug.

Will be interesting to see how things work out on your Saiga.