Red Dot vs Laser?

I've never used either on any of my firearms (learned on irons, and the only scope I use is on a Winchester M70 .308). I like the idea of keeping my Saiga "bare bones basic", but I see so many users with red dots on them. I'm just wondering (as I'm a noob to red dots and lasers), what's the advantage of an expensive red dot reflex sight over a simple/cheaper rifle mounted laser? Wouldn't both be good for 100m (realistic combat range)? I don't foresee either being put on my rifle, I'm just curious about them.

Can people explain which they use, why, and the expected pro's/con's of either (red dot vs Laser)?

laser

gives up your position

gets washed out in intense sunlight

gets washed out at distance

red dot

transposes a red dot onto glass, which does not give away your location

allows for longer distance shots without washing out dot..

higher quality red dots will hold zero and make for very fast shooting and target acquisition..

• Like 2

I'm with Vlad. A red dot on a rifle will be more useful across a wider range of circumstances than a laser. Maybe if it were being installed on a Draco or something that's harder to shoulder, I'd see the benefits of the laser catching up to a red dot.

• Like 1