Federal PDX1 - might want to avoid

Took my Saiga out yesterday doing some ammo testing. Shot some 3" PDX1 to test it's reliability and was very surprised to learn that at 7 yards the discs did not even penetrate the 3-ply laminate I was using on my target stand. All it did was leave a small indentation. Now, wood is not flesh but still, this seems pretty pathetic in an SD round.

See the attached picture for an example. This wasn't a one off - these little round indentations were all there was across the board.

post-40944-0-89192100-1341592148_thumb.jpg

Is that a ringed dent from the wad? The discs do not have a lip on them. They are bevelled at the edges. I have cut a couple open to see the guts to help me in reloading. When shooting paper I have had a few turn making the hole more oval.

It's hard to tell how many shots you've taken at the plywood with all of those other holes. Try shooting several more at clean wood to see if the result repeats itself.

PDX1 is rated at 750 fps and is designed for use in short barrel weapons at close ranges.

Most Buckshot is around 1250 fps and can take down big animals.

I prefer Buckshot myself, but PDX1 can still fill a niche for home defense when over penetration is a concern.